News:

Ramadan Mubarak!

I pray that we get the full blessings of Ramadan and may Allah (SWT) grant us more blessings in the year to come.
Amin Summa Amin.

Ramadan Kareem,

Main Menu

Misrepresenting Kano?

Started by Anonymous, May 06, 2002, 04:57:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

Can someone tell these Nido people to first of all get thier language straight before defacing our city gates with Yorubanised-Hausa signboards in the middle of Hausaland? Can you imagine; they currently have a huge advert signboard on Kofar Nassarawa gate Kano reading "Barka de zuwa". Was it written and translated in Osun state or what?

Could they not have gotten a proper Hausa translation or is it more important for them to sell thier products. Worse still, is this one of those global TEXT conspiracy plots to misrepresent and corrupt our language right before our eyes? Honestly I can't understand how such mistakes are carried to this level without someone seeing it, it just doesnt make sense. ???

sdanyaro

Assalamu alaikum;
Umaru,

I agree with with you. This kind of thing is gradually corrupting and as you've said misrepresenting the Hausa written Language. I think this is partly because, for whatever reason the people in charge
of giving out the contracts for these kind of things prefer not to patronize the indigenous businesses that could do a much better job and are more in tune with the written language.

Anonymous

well i am a kano state indigine and i speak hausa fluently in-fact i am nick named jakin kano
but i make serious spelling mistakes in written hausa ,
what can be done then ?

sdanyaro

Assalamu alaikum;
Ali,

Thank you for your response regarding this issue.

I think though, that Umaru is talking about a huge advert signboard on Kofar Nassarawa gate Kano not a typo on a letter, email or homework. Nasarawa Gate is one of the most important gates of the great city of Kano with a lot of historical significance, I think it deserves better. Any huge advert welcoming people to Kano should have it?s spelling checked and rechecked and if needed, corrected.

Everybody makes spelling mistakes, but usually corrects the mistakes when the mistake is found if it can be corrected.

Again thanks for your response.

Anonymous

Anonymous

This ugly trend has been going on for quite sometime without anybody giving a hoot, The Lagos Ibadan press are the greatest culprits and methinks they are doing it on purpose. Bakin-Zuwo is always spelt Barkin Zuwo, Babbar riga is Babanriga etc, even recent billboard adverts of MTN is a great embrassment. They simply tranlate the English version word for word. Be what you want to be ( zama abin da kake so ka zama) and say what you want to say( fade abin da kake so ka fada) and this is displayed in most of the Northern cities. The question is what do we do in the wake of this blatant massacre of our language by.....you know who!

Anonymous

what do u expect from foriegners?
we killed our infrastructures ourselves
which has caused this recent influx of non-hausa business men
its a bitter fact but its very very true allaji
if there is anyway of ending this slow massacre
then its by investments ourselves,
many countries have given us gaps of at-least twenty years.
information technology is where we are lacking.
we are zero in this area,
education has been poisoned
people have no jobs
its high time that something is done,
i only know where we are wrong , someone has to be there to put things right.
its high time we invest elsewhere than raw materials and household items.
ma'assalam
(may there be peace upon u)
please if i anger u at anytime, take it easy as i am a critic and criticism is a way of making oneself sucessfull ,
Allah ya taimake mu

Anonymous

haha @ ali!!... jakin kano?? LoL!!!! sha...

if thats a problem...(referrin' to dee topic)... why dont WE write our own adverts...instead of givin' yorubas to do it for us...????????????

ali talk tru tru..oh... we complain...actually *ahem* ...ya'll complain (exclude moi) and sit and do nuthin' 'bout it....

sha... insha Allah... i go change all dat... juss pray for meeh ok? ;D

sdanyaro

Ali hamza, Magaji Galadima and Fyne Dyme Queen,

Thank you all for your responses and comments regarding this topic.

I concur and agree with what is said here but I really think also that this problem cuts across tribal line because you will find that this kind of or similar problem within all tribes in Kano. The problem is with non-indigenous businesses patronage.

Ihsan

Assalaam Alaikum,

Interesting...hmmm...but the northerners can be lazy  :-/. Saboda everything sai dai kaga yoruba/igbo ke yi. Su suna son nema kudi da ko ta yaya, amma ma malam bahaushe kam...shi dai yafi son aiki yanzu, sakamako yanzu...kuma haka bata yiwuwa. It's really annoying ma all this kind of electronic abubuwan, sai dai ka gan irinsu irinsu suna sai da wa...amma sai dai dai za'a samu hausan da ke saida wa.  

I really don't blame them for yanda sukayi wannan rubutun...da mu mun tashi mun bada himma wajen irin wannan abun, har yaushe wani iyamuri zai yi mana kasa landan a harkokin mu  :-/.

Ma'3ssalaamah.
greetings from Ihsaneey

Blaqueen

ah... dont say northerners can be lazy... i've come across many hard workin' ones... and for albarkan su.. i'mma say... we got tyght peeps for northern naija!!!!!!!...
da Hunniez Gettin Money Playin Niggaz Like Dummy

Dantata_Girl

Assalaam Alaiki Fyne,

Well, I didn't say ALL. Some can be, and yes we have hard working people but still, wandanda suke son aiki yanzu sakamako yanzu sunfi yawa  :-X.

Ma'3ssalaamah.

Blaqueen

well.... lyfe goes on...  :) ... we'll change the numbers ko?
da Hunniez Gettin Money Playin Niggaz Like Dummy

uglychick

well i think no body should give a damn about any spelling mistakes,do you guys know why, we have bigger problems than that,talking about the four major 'rashis'---rashin wuta,rashin ruwa,rashin good roads and rashin makarantu.maybe one of you guys should do something about the spelling mistakes,get a ladder, and get to work.

Shiekh

Quote from: "Anonymous"Can someone tell these Nido people to first of all get thier language straight before defacing our city gates with Yorubanised-Hausa signboards in the middle of Hausaland? Can you imagine; they currently have a huge advert signboard on Kofar Nassarawa gate Kano reading "Barka de zuwa". Was it written and translated in Osun state or what?

to madalla sunji kiranka, and it is now corrected.
more grease to your elbows!