News:

Ramadan Mubarak!

I pray that we get the full blessings of Ramadan and may Allah (SWT) grant us more blessings in the year to come.
Amin Summa Amin.

Ramadan Kareem,

Main Menu

Is Obasanjo Biased Against Islam?

Started by EMTL, May 29, 2004, 08:58:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EMTL

Dear Brothers and Sisters

As salamu alaykum

RE: NACOMYO VS OBASANJO

One may feel disturbed that almost one year after NACOMYO took Obasanjo to court for his pushing into motion a well organised Christian agenda of marginalising Muslims in his government, some brothers are still asking the basis for this action.

However, taking into cognisance the nearly total blackout given to the case by the pro-Christian  media one should not blame the brothers.

The fact of the matter is that Obasanjo deliberately refused to appoint any Muslim as Muslim from any of the southern states including Kogi and Kwara. In fact Kwara with more than 85% Muslim population had two Ministers Mrs. Adebayo and Mrs. Adedoyin and both are Christians, 63% of the total number of Ministers are Christians while 37% are Muslims.

It was after NACOMYO instituted a case against Obasanjo at the Federal High Court on 15th July 2003 that Christian nominee from Osun State was dropped and replaced by one Engineer Bashir Awotorebo a Muslim from Ile Ife who was just Minister of state for water resources. The man knowing that the Christians are in power has been maintaining a low profile within the Ummah in Abuja.

The case again comes up on the 1st of June at the Abuja Federal High Court. However, you can tame a leopard you cannot change the spot on his skin.

Obasanjo has not relented in his Muslim cleansing from Government. The tradition now is when he removes a Muslim from a post he automatically replaces him with a Christian and when he removes a Christian another Christian takes over the mantle.

A few example will suffice when Nasir el-rufai became a minister, one Alhaji Tijani was recommended to Obasanjo but he picked one Julius Bala as the new Director General Bureau for Public enterprises.

When the Comptroller general of custom retired he was replaced by a Christian Gyang Buba.

When the managing Director of the Nigerian ports Authority Alhaji Mustapha was removed he was replaced by an apostate  from Islam, Mr. Bayo Sarumi. When the Director General of Federal Inland Revenue was removed he was replaced by a Christian lady.

However when Joseph Sanusi of the Central Bank retired,  there were three Muslim contenders Abdul Fatai Kekere Ekun. M/D Habib Bank Ganiyu Ogun of NDIC and Tajudeen Adeola, since they are Muslims Obasanjo went Professor Solunde as Economic Adviser who is not a banker.

Solunde himself was replaced by another Christian Professor Orodo. Who would bail the Muslims out of this religious cleansing that is making us an endangered species in political and economic vine yard of Nigeria.

Our elders, (sorry our dealers) have capitulated and become government agents looking for contracts to buy new limousines and replace their ageing wives with new damsels.  

Allah will definitely come to our rescue and save us from the CAN agenda of reducing us to flotsam and jetsam of the Nigeria society.

Alh. Ishaq Kunle Sanni
In the Affairs of People Fear Allah (SWT). In the Matters Relating to Allah (SWT) Do not be Afraid of Anybody. Ibn Katthab (RA).

mallamt

EMTL

I assume that you are in agreement with what is said in your posting.  Another assumption I am making is that you are an educated person and well travelled (within or ouside nigeria).

You will then agree with me that the points or issues raised are completely nonsence.  Apart from federal character (and I am not even sure) that is covered by the constitution, religious faith is not covered.  So on what basis must there be appointments to cabinet or any other possitions based on faith?  When will it end?  we will then have on sex, creed, colour, youth, disability etc.  Or do you or any one think that other groups are less important or do not have any rights to appointments?

Why have you not discussed the dominance of muslims in previous governments?  Have you tried to just investigate and see what is used to be?  A good word of advise my friend please do just that.  You see you must understand that the silence is not because there are no people who can make noise, it is just that they know what it was like just a few years ago.  Do you realise that since the move to abuja OBJ is the first non muslim person to occupy the state house?  Are you aware that the only religious building in Aso rock before OBJ was a mosque?

If I am from the north or from kano, katsina, zamfara (or any of the predominantly muslim states) and I am appointed to a position what makes me any less a person from those places?  What about the christains from kano, sokoto, zamfara, etc why are they not appointed to positions in their states?  why are they beinmg removed and replaced by muslims?

The current situation (if indeed true) is a case of what goes around comes around, so there is no need to behave like cry babies, instead take responsibility and ask your self how can we make things better for ALL nigerians.  What difference does it make to have an all muslim or all christain cabinet?  Why not just the best person for the job instead of the muslim or christain for the job?  How many muslims have been in very senior positions in the country and what have they done for the nation or even their people?  Instead of serious progress and catching up with rest of the country we are beginning to fall behind in almost all aspects of human endeavour and development in the north, have we not been having muslim leadership?

Please let us discuss like educated people who have the interest of nigerian and contribute in our postings on what or how best we can help our people and develop ourselves!  The suite is just RUBBISH!!!!!

lionger

couldn't have said it better, mallamt. I was even prepared to give this post the benefit of the doubt until i came across the inflattering conclusion:

QuoteAllah will definitely come to our rescue and save us from the CAN agenda of reducing us to flotsam and jetsam of the Nigeria society.
the amusing thing is that if u speak to some christians they will tell u Obasanjo is a stooge of the muslim north, whereas most ppl here will say he is a christian/yoruba sympathiser.  Each side believes Uncle Sege is protecting the interests of the other. lol this is the hallmark of a truly incompetent leadership and of a people who are still not ready to learn the lesson of past failures.

alhaji_aminu

salam
I guess EMTL you're right. However, we must not forget that it is the president's prerogative to appoint whom so ever he finds suitable to implement his agenda in the cabinet level. The Nigeria constitution speaks of federal character in which a 'quota' like system is deviced in apportioning offices with  geo-political fairness. The  fed character did not say offices should be given with religious affiliation taken into account. It is normally done out of pragmatic realisation of Nigerian peculiarities.
having said that, we must not dismiss Nacomyo's complaints. because it is true that almost all yoruba ministers are Christians in obj govt (mind you yorubas are 50-50 muslims-xtian). and Nacomyo must  be commended for taking their grievance to a court of law.
at no time did any regime did this. OBJ should be mindful that he is creating a  precedent that doesn't augur well for the country.
mallamt,  EMTL's assertion, which are by extension the opinions of yoruba muslims, are non "nonsenslical".

Dave_McEwan_Hill

Instead of pointing the finger at each other Moslem leaders and Christian leaders should be uniting to lead Nigeria out of immoral corruption. It doesn't matter what religion a governor or top politician is. If they are useless they are useless. If they are corrupt they are corrupt. And what religion they are doesn't come into it. But so long as they can hide behind religious differences and point the finger of blame at the other side the can get away with nonsense - as long as the people let them. The ordinary Nigerian citizen will have to learn how to look past a man's religion and be able to judge him on his actions and his honesty.
The religious differences in Nigeriaa have always been used by rogues as a smokescreen to cover up their roguery.
maigemu

ajingi

Whe have within us a few cabal of godless, senseless, terorist gansters and fraudsters leaders, who hide under the canopy of religion and ethinicity to pauperise its unsuspecting citizens in order to achieves thier personal agenda.
I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent.

mallamt

I know and apprciate that each individual has a right to his opinion.  I think both ajigini and dave capture the idea and understand the point very well.  It is a pity that the likes of myadudu appear to have problems focusing on the issue rather than chasing shadows.  The point made by myself is that we must not allow the religion a person belongs to becloud our judgement of individuals.  Whether a person is christain, muslim, hindu, pagan etc they are God's creation and we must respect that (except of course if you will want to impply God made a mistake).  Nigerian pecularities are they really pecularities or are they just methods used by the various religious organisations to perpetuate themselves?  If I may ask why should you or anybody bother about the religion of a person if the person does what they should be doing and they do it right?  This is one of the very fundamental things that seperates us from most other countries and it has been the biggest hinderance to our advancement or development.  We seem incapable of looking at our leadership based on what they should be doing and if they are doing it right and spend our time trying to get a muslim or christain in place.  The effect is that when these people do what should not be done and is not right we keep defending them based on some religious commonality and who suffers..the poor and needy!!!  I still stand by my position that the NCOMYO case is stupid, childish, irrelevant, embarassing and a totally distraction of the courts time that should be used on more important issues

EMTL

Then, there is the problem of religion. Had General Obasanjo declared himself a born again Christian and gone back to his farm, that would have been no problem. But to do so and then proceed to seek political power was bound to create a problem for religion and the country, especially within the Muslim population. This is the classical mixing of religion with politics and it has never, never worked anywhere. Although the Pentecostal community nationally and internationally was quick to embrace the President as a Christian President, as opposed to a Southern President, all these contributed to creating the conditions that produced the Sharia backlash that hamstrung the nation and chewed up the first three years of our return to democracy. Thus, whereas the North was credited with bringing Obasanjo to power, the Christian community claimed that they rescued him in the last elections when the Muslims were poised to throw him out. It is interesting that the same President would publicly rain abuses on a leader of that same Christian community. From Fredrick Chiluba, Jerry Falwell, Fr Aristide to our dear George Bush, it is clear that attempts to wear the religious toga into the political space is a dangerous preoccupation for any President and the nation. What we need to lead our nations are statesmen with a vision, not claims of religious superiority. Mr. Mandela made very little religious claims.  Revernd Mathew Kukah

Adviser_Name/ Adviser_Position/

Southerners/Christians

1.  Obong Ufot Ekaete-  Secretary to Government of the Federation
2 Prince Olusola Akanmode- Deputy Chief of Staff, VP
3 Ambassador A.O. Esan- Deputy Chief of Staff,President
4 Dr. E. Daukoru, Special Adviser- Petroleum and Energy
5 Prof. Jerry Gana- Political Matters
6 Dr Charles Soludo- Economic  Adviser
7 Prof. Julius Ihonvbare-  Programme And Policy Monitoring
8 Mr. Kanu Agabi (SAN)- Ethics and Good Governance
9 Mr. Ojo Maduekwe- Constitution and Legal Matters
10 Prof. Wande Abimbola- Cultural Affairs and Traditional Matters
11 Amb. Raph Uwechue- Special Envoy on Conflict Resolution In Africa
12 Engr. Stanley Dako- Special Adviser VP
13 Mr. Mike Kwanashie- Special Adviser, (VP)
14 Mrs. Dupe Sasore- African Growth and Opportunity Act (AGOA)
15 Mrs. Florence Ita Giwa- National Assembly Affairs
16 Owelle Anayo Rochas Okorocha- Inter-Party Relations
17 Deaconess J.O. Ayo- Economic Matters Chief of  Staff ( COS )
18-Dr. Gbolade Osinowo- Domestic Political Affairs ( COS )
19- Mrs E.C Asika - NEPAD
20- Mrs. O.K. Ezekwesili- Due Process and Head of Unit BMPI.
21- Mrs. Remi Oyo- Media and Publicity
22- Dr. Andy Uba- Household Matters
23- Dr. Onukaba A. Ojo- Media (VP)
24- Dr. Maxwell Gidado- Legal (VP)
25- Chris Mammah- Special Duties (VP)
26- Mr. Ad'Obe Obe- Research, Strategy and Speech Writing.
27- Chief Onyema Ugochukwu- National Orientation Agency, Chairman,NNDC
28- Prof. Magnus Kpakol- NAPEP National Coordinator.
29- Mr. Nyaknno Osso- Library Services
30- Mrs Apollonia Okigbo,- Due Process.
31-Dr. S.N. Onuoha,-Bureau of Public Enterprise
32- Ms Bose Ogunmuyiwa- National Orientation and Public Enlightenment.
33- Princess Gloria Iweka- Presidential Matters (COS)
34- Mr. Emmanuel Arinze- Public Communications
35- Mr. T.O. Oyawoye- Due Process
36- Mr. Bodunde Adeyanju- Presidential Matters
37- Mr. Tunde Olusunle,- Special Duties
38- Prof. C.Ohiagu- NASS
39- Prince O. Mbafo- NASS
40-n. Lumumba Adeh- NASS
41- Mrs Toyin Adetunji- Food Security
42- Mrs. Adeluola Doregos- Programme Montoring
43-Mrs Dayo Akinmoyo- Human Trafficking
-44 Mrs Ronke Omame- Urban and Housing
45- Mr. Segun Awolowo- Traditional Institutional Matters, South
46-r. Femi Fani-Kayode-Public Affairs
47- Ms. Beni Lar-Women Affair
48- Mr. Nat. W. Yaduma- Special  Group. Interests. (VP)
49- Mrs. Tokunbo Adeola- NEC and Private Sector Liaison (VP)
-50- Mr. Phil Agbasi,- NASS 1 (VP)
51- Mr.Shima Ayati,- Special Duties (VP)
52- Mr. Taiwo Ojo, Admin- C-in-C Secretariat
53- Mrs. Rita Shodipo,- G77, NIDO Matters
54- Mr.  U.A. Chizitera Iheakanwa- Economy Matters
55- Mr. Kolade Akinjo,- Student Matters
56- Miss Amope Adeoye,- Social Matters
57- Mr. Femi Johnson,- Secretariat Duties
58- Miss Toyin Olatinwo,- Secretariat Duties (COS
 59- Mr. Johnbull Emodiac,- Secretariat Duties.
60- Mr. Peter Ohemu,- Secretariat Duties.

Notherners/Muslims

1 Gen. Aliyu Gusau rtd- NSA
2.-Maj.Gen. Abdulahi Muhammed rtd- Chief Of Staff.
3. Alhaji Yayale Ahmed- Head of Service of the Federation
4. Engr. Muhammed Abba-Gana- Relation with Civil Society
5. Mal. Lawal Batagarawa- Non-Party Relations
6. Prof. A.D. Yahaya- Special Adviser (Political) VP
7. Alhaji Ahmed Abdulkadir- Manufacturing and Private Sector
8. Dr. Aliu Modibbo- Research and Liaison
9. Capt. Shehu Iyal- Presidents Planes ( Aviation )

Where is the Federal Character!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
In the Affairs of People Fear Allah (SWT). In the Matters Relating to Allah (SWT) Do not be Afraid of Anybody. Ibn Katthab (RA).

EMTL

Mr. T,
OBj is setting a very BAD precedence. OBJ despise muslims in his Government... Just imagine what he made out of NTA. lookt at NTA's programs every sunday.......this is another precedence.

The man speak about fighting corruption but we all know that he is worst than any leader Nigeria ever had, looking at the Ministry he directly supervises (Petroluem Resoursces), the kangaroo privitisation, in which he was reported to have bought over UNIpetrol (OANDO), Abuja Stadium contract, etc.

EMTL

Quote from: "mallamt"I still stand by my position that the NCOMYO case is stupid, childish, irrelevant, embarassing and a totally distraction of the courts time that should be used on more important issues

Mr. T, Is there any need for names calling????!!!!!!

mallamt

EMTL

The point is that OBJ's religious beliefs has nothing to do with his performance as president.  To say simply that OBJ despises muslims just because there are more people belonging to the christain faith in his government is ridiculus how about noting that this is the first time in the history of the country that we have this scenario? what about the past 40 years plus? Are you trying to say dominance by muslims is okay?  You see that is why I am saying that the issue is not his beliefs (religious) but his performance.  And the day he indicates christains are in govt because they will do a better job I will also oppose such statements!

One of the problems of being in a position of power for too long is an inability to accept change and be threated with change.  I am sure you are aware that change management is a big issue in management these days.  Now that is the position we are finding ourselves we see all sorts of conspiracies, lopsidedness etc once one of our own is affected, we tend to forget that they are their for a service.  Just a few years ago the very list you have put here if you put it will seriously be skewed towards muslims and it was like that for decades.  Now the profile in terms of religion has changed we want to make it an issue haba!!  As I said earlier on I believe the current situation is just a case of what goes around comes around.

On the issue of OBJ setting a precedence I do not think you are right, those that set the precedence came before him, remember I said I believe it is a case of what goes around comes around.  The fact that he declared himself a born again christain is between him and God, but the most important thing is that he does not create a religious state, he does not infringe on the rights of other citizens who do not belong to the christain faith, they must be allowed to believe what they want to believe.

You made references to NTA now a few years ago in kaduna on NTA you had islamic programs on friday and even on sunday christain programs were for a few hours on sunday only, and kaduna is probably about 40% christain as for states like kano and sokoto just forget it christains got only about 30mins on sundays.  You should know that NTA like other institutions is forced to raise its own funds or part of it what essentially they are doing is selling air time.

It appears to me you were not reading my posting because what I gather from your comment is that you think I am directing my words to NCOMYO, which is totally untrue what I am talking about is their action and I still stand by my words on their action, I am not name calling but showing my distaste for their action.

My dear friend lop sided appointments on religious grounds did not start in 1999, they started long before that and if we are honest and want to deal with the matter objectively let us look from 1960 till date and ask why they have been happening.  I suppose it is a good sign that we are in the situation we are in now I hope we come out of it with a lesson and better understanding, when we did it we did not care and were not sensitive to these matters.  I sincerely hope we now understand how the other half feels all these times we have done same.

In the case of OBJ and his leadership may God help us, OBJ is not a leader and yes the country has been distroyed under him

alhaji_aminu

salam
Mallamt i believe you know more than saying disagreeing with you is chasing shadows. I said you cannot dismiss EMTL's arguments as nonsensical.
In my case, i made it clear that OBJ has the right to appoint those he so desire. And as an 'executive' president, his choice is beyond reproach. That is not to say there will be no repercussions. That is the issue right? that OBJ is appointing 'some' people into his govt but not others. I cannot see how you can say i am circumventing the issue.
Now, to say that OBJ's faith has nothing to do with his performance is wrong, very wrong indeed.  OBJ thinks he is a messiah and what messiah's do is divinely insipred. The divinity to which OBJ ascribes as being the 'sovereign truth' is the xtian/Muslim GOD. So when he suceeds, he dedicates that achievement to GOD. And he equally blames his failures to GOD, just for the sake of fairness. What an ignorant.
The same cannot be said of other heads of state. No other C-in-C openly flauts his faith more than OBJ. Let's not forget he is a Born a again.
For the avoidance of doubt, i am not saying Muslim presidents do/did a better job. Infact the worst head of state in Nigeria's history is a Muslim (we all know who).

PS: EMTL it's great you have provided evidence of OBJ appointees for all cynics to see. To me, it seems very lopsided and that is not good for anyone.

_Waziri_

Salam All,

If I may have the permission to intervene here, I would say, Mr. David, Ajingi and Mallamt are very  right in there observations as summarised by mallamt:

Quote from: "mallamt"I know and apprciate that each individual has a right to his opinion.  I think both ajigini and dave capture the idea and understand the point very well.....  The point made by myself is that we must not allow the religion a person belongs to becloud our judgement of individuals.  Whether a person is christain, muslim, hindu, pagan etc they are God's creation and we must respect that (except of course if you will want to impply God made a mistake).

But yet the truth of the matter is it is OBJ whom Mr. David, Ajingi and Mallamt should tell these things. Why must he choose more people from a particular faith when the truth is  as mallamt say that:

Quote from: "mallamt"We must not allow the religion a person belongs to becloud our judgement of individuals.  Whether a person is christain, muslim, hindu, pagan etc they are God's creation and we must respect that (except of course if you will want to impply God made a mistake).

Therefore OBJ is the one allowing religion to becloud his vision and he must try to "rectify" his vision.

Waziri

mallamt

Khalil

I some how do agree with you but what you have done with the qoutes is unfair because you are not using it in context, however you are still right.  I do not dispute the fact that there may be more christains appointees in todays government, in the same way it may be said that there are more yorubas appointees being made further still you can say there are more southern appointees in this government.  You see whatever happens we are going to pick on something else.  But what no one has said anything about which surprises me is why has there been more muslim appointees in previous governments?  Is it then better to have predominantly muslim appointees in a government in nigeria than christains?  Why should christain appointees become an issue when it has been done previously with muslim appointees?

myadudu said "....Now, to say that OBJ's faith has nothing to do with his performance is wrong, very wrong indeed. OBJ thinks he is a messiah and what messiah's do is divinely insipred. The divinity to which OBJ ascribes as being the 'sovereign truth' is the xtian/Muslim GOD. So when he suceeds, he dedicates that achievement to GOD. And he equally blames his failures to GOD, just for the sake of fairness. What an ignorant." It should be clear even to myadudu that OBJ's veiw of himself has no bearing on how we as citizens of nigeria rate his performance, so to even refer to his veiw of himself is irrelevant!  For us to be objective and tackle the issue head on we must be able to look at his performance what he beliefs of himself is his problem except if that belief infringes on the rights of others.

The point I am trying to make is we can not in all honesty now want to look at the lop sidedness of appointments when it has always been happening, the fact that when it happened we were in charge does not mean others were not unhappy with it.  Let us look at the whole scenario and ask ourselves should we allow this government or any future govt in nigeria to be able to make lopsided appointments on the basis of religion? If the answer is no then what mmust we do what must be legislated?  What is the consequence of what we legislate today on tommorow? If the other groups come up and want appointments to also consider disability, sex, race etc are we in a position to listen to these groups and on the basis of fairness also allow them their own allotments in cabinets? or are we saying rights should only be limited to those who are either christains or muslims?  By the way were do those who are niether muslim or christains fall in this categorisations?  Do they not have rights too?  are they not a creation of God?

Let us concentrate on OBJ's performance and the performance of his cabinet or appointees one thing I am very sure of is whether he has more muslims than christains or more christains that muslim or even a 50-50 situation if he is a hopeless leader he will remain so!

Indabawa

All the hoopla on the undesirability of NACOMYO,for dragging His Imperial majesty, OBJ to court was just a 'traditional" wrangling from the champions of tribal and sectional jingoism, that had hijacked the present circus play-garbed as democracy.

The most incontrovertible fact ,is that President Obasanjo, has successfully sidelined Muslims in most of the stratagic appointments he made in the last five years.

Tharefore,NACOMYO should be applauded, not octracised, since they have not resorted to threats and violence as most often exemplified by the "educated"Afenifere thugs.

That Obasanjo has deliberately disfavoured Muslims in his cabinet and other appointments, is a fact that cannot be easily sweep away.

All the hues and cry that past muslim leaders had segregated xtians in their appointments was just a blatant and shameless misinformation from a bunch of 'educated illiterates".The facts are there to verify or otherwise.

The focus of all patriotic and peace loving Nigerian is to put all hands on deck, to see to the progress of our dear country; as a strong,united,wealthier and democratic nation deviod of rancour and devisive attitude of our so called leaders.

Therefore, name callings should not serve any purpose.President Obasanjo had set a dangerous precedent.Ba'a canja wa tuwo suna!
e who kneels to Allah can stand up to anything.