News:

Ramadan Mubarak!

I pray that we get the full blessings of Ramadan and may Allah (SWT) grant us more blessings in the year to come.
Amin Summa Amin.

Ramadan Kareem,

Main Menu

HELP ME TRANSLATE

Started by MySeLf, January 16, 2007, 06:21:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan-Borno

Madam abi you wan confuse me?
Insect kuma!!!
Ana wata ga wata kenan.

Me wey i dey find the meaning of tuck in,
ashe zanzaro is a name of insect!!
please tell me more.
"My mama always used to tell me: 'If you can't find somethin' to live for, you best find somethin' to die for" - Tupak

HUSNAA

Quote from: Fateez on April 24, 2007, 09:28:48 AM

Hehe, zanzaro as in "Tuck-in" or zanzaro as in insect (Skirt and blouse)?

Lol Fateez, where u been?
Anyway u are right!! I have totally forgotten zanzaro was an insect. Lets see, isnt zanzaro the insect, cricket in english, no zanzaro is the praying mantis  or dragon fly, (i think). crickets are the  ones that disturb one throughout the night with their high pitched screeching. lol what are they called ma? I used to go into a hide and seek  situation with them, cos they'd invade the bedroom and u'd look up and down for them and they'd keep absolutely still. Then when the light is off again or u'd gone back to bed, they'd start up again... they used to drive me crazy. Kai yaya sunan su ma a hausa?
Ghafurallahi lana wa lakum

MySeLf

Quote from: HUSNAA on April 24, 2007, 07:40:01 PM

cricket in english, Kai yaya sunan su ma a hausa?

Gyare ko?
!!!........................I STAND 4 ISLAM..........................!!!

HUSNAA

Kwarect Myself!!
Gyare ne. Thank u!! In da ambarni shekara aru aru ba zan tuna da sunan ba dan ya bace bat!!

Fateez

I'm not too sure if Zanzaro is skirt and blouse. Dat one dat bites you

and leaves acid and rashes on your face. But I'm quite sure zanzaro

bites and bites real hard not sure tho if it's this one ->  ???   ???   ???   ???

"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect."    ~ Mark Twain

MySeLf

I know zanzaro but can't picture his looks .... Hhm! ???
But i knew it do bite as you said

And skirt and blouse? skirt and blouse?? i know the name but can't remember the looks.

That pic look like gara ko?

Kai zaman birni duk yasa mutum ya manta da yan kwarin nan.... Hhm!!

HUSNAA

Wannan saman ba gara ba 'yar uwa. Ni ma dai bansan sunan skirt and blouse da hausa ba. Gara ai dangin tururuwa ce. Ina tsammanin zanzaro sunansa stick insect a turance, dan zanzaro siririn kwaro ne, so maybe.....

IBB

Zanzaro is a flying insect and build its house with mud on walls sometimes the house is whitesh like catepillar. It has a tight waist like tuckin. brown in colour, it bites when threatin. so Dan-borno dont catch one when u c it. just look at it, it may help u choose the right trouser you wanna tuck in with to see MYSELF

Mazugal is a name of one of the Kano gates. It derived its name from an incident that happened at the gate. As MYSELF said is 'Karya'. A man came and met the gaurds at the gate and told them a big lie I think he was tryin to get in thats why he lied. so the guards laughed and shout Mazugal. U know lie is also refers to as Zuk'i, sometime children sing when sum1 lies singing 'zuk'i ta malle'

Oxygen - Iska mai amfani ga rayuwar dan-adam--- U know this is a modern discovery no one knows about this those days thats y there is no particular name for it. I dont think Oxygen is English i think is a scientific term
IHS

IBB

Quote from: Fateez on May 03, 2007, 05:02:28 PM

I'm not too sure if Zanzaro is skirt and blouse. Dat one dat bites you

and leaves acid and rashes on your face. But I'm quite sure zanzaro

bites and bites real hard not sure tho if it's this one ->  ???   ???   ???   ???

this insect is call Tsatso
IHS

IBB

Airfreshner not perfume

Mable, terazo and tiles not concrete/kankare

oven

microwave

solar

who knows how the name (BUNDUGA/GUN) comes about
IHS

MySeLf

Air freshner... Abun kanshi iska
Oven.... Tan deron bature
Microwave.... Madu mami
Solar.... Rana
       ???
I think bunduga come from the sound of the gun?

Fateez

Quote from: IBB on May 09, 2007, 08:30:27 AM

who knows how the name (BUNDUGA/GUN) comes about

Hehe, I've heard this one before. A cousin studying languages spent

days trying to persuade me that the word "Bindiga" came from "Bring

the gun." Something about the British settlers in Nigeria asking the locals

that were about to attack them to "bring the gun." Dunno how true it is

tho. Oh, she also mentioned that Bayejidda came fromn "Ba ya ji da" (As

in "he didnt understand before"). Ba ya ji da to Bayejidda would make a

lot more sense than Bring the gun to Bindiga... ???
"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect."    ~ Mark Twain

HUSNAA

Kinsan kuwa Fateez yr cousin could just be right about how the word bindiga came about? It sounds very plausible, except for one thing, which even for that there could be an explanation. I say this because if you imagine a colonial 'massa'  ;D standing  extending his arm to a native and commanding 'bring the gun', every time he wants to use a gun, eventually the association with the object the gun itself and the phrase 'bring the gun' will establish itself to the point whereby bring the gun becomes a word to describe the object as far as the native is concerned especially if they are not versed in the white man's language but just get to form an association from constant repetition.

So as far as the native is concerned, its like the colonial just mentions the name of the object he desires at that time. Rather like a surgeon in an operating room who will just extend a palm and say 'scalpel' and the nurse will pass the scalpel to him. If u notice also, the phrase is 'bring the gun' not 'bring a gun', which shows that a particular gun is used at the time of the command being issued, so this gun must be one gun in constant use. So bring the gun eventually becomes bring di gun...bin di gun... bindiga, as the native tries to assimilate the words with his own tongue.

I think the most likeliest situation for this is not under a war situation. The likeliest scenario would be that the colonial master goes hunting, or goes off to an expedition for which he needs to protect himself against wild animals and the native as his servant carries the gun, as well as other paraphenalia. That is why when he wants the gun, the colonial master will say 'bring the gun' because it is a particular one and not just any gun.

PS Ever heard of Tal'udu in Kano? Its a just that area around the Sabon titi round about as u come out of kabuga. Tal'udu originally came about from the sign board of the construction engineers that I think built that road. They were an English company, called Taylor Woodrow, and I guess ppl identified the area by making the sign board a landmark and pronouncing it the best way they could when they wanted to give directions and eventually the name stuck as Tal'udu. Cool eh? ;D

Bayyajidda, kuma might be a corruption of baya gida (not at home?)

IBB

Wat are da names of these things in hausa

Heater
Air-condition
Lighter
key-holder
biscuit
stepler
IHS

Dan-Borno

Heater -   ?
Air-Condition - Raba
Lighter -  ?
Keyholder -  ?
Biscuit -  Kuli kuli
Stepler -  ?
"My mama always used to tell me: 'If you can't find somethin' to live for, you best find somethin' to die for" - Tupak