News:

Ramadan Mubarak!

I pray that we get the full blessings of Ramadan and may Allah (SWT) grant us more blessings in the year to come.
Amin Summa Amin.

Ramadan Kareem,

Main Menu

'Dan Arewa a London

Started by sdanyaro, August 20, 2007, 08:00:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sdanyaro

To 'yanuwa... ni dai yau na zama dan Arewa a London. Yau Allah da ikonsa ya bani halin lekowa wannan garin birnin Lodon. Kafin aje ko ina, nidai abinda na fara lura dashi a wannan garin, shine.. komai yana da dan karen tsada anan. Misali, daga Airport sai da na biya kudi wuri na guwan wuri har Fam Hamsin da biyar (Kudin Ingila) sannan aka kawoni Masauki (Hotel). Kuma shi kansa hotel din - daki dan tsirit amma ance sai nabiya kamar Fam Tamanin kowace rana. Sannan wannan Intanet (Internet) din da nake amfani da ita sai da aka cajeni Euro Sittin ta catin Credit Card sannan aka kyaleni in hau a dakin nawa na sati daya kenan fa kacal... To lalle fa inna jin yau na zama dan Arewa a London. BTW, if there is any Onliner around this town, it will be good to say hello... I am putting up at the Greenwich? area of London? till next Sunday when I plan to pack my few things and head towards Germany for another week after which I should be back in Nigeria by way of Amsterdam...

Haza wasalam,
Nine mai sauraron ku,
(Dan Arewa a London),
Salisu U. Danyaro.

sdanyaro

Also one has to be real careful when crossing the streets and roads around here... I came damn close to being splattered by a double decker because I was looking the wrong way expecting the vehicles to be coming from that direction. Allah ya cigaba da karemu.

Dan-Borno

Dan Uwa, mu dake gida Najeriya sai daimu taya ka da
Ayatul Kursiyyu maganin hau ko sausayi da sharrin nasara,
Allah kuma ya dawo da kai gida lafiya, meanwhile
we will keep you posted.  And dont forget our tsaraba  ;D
"My mama always used to tell me: 'If you can't find somethin' to live for, you best find somethin' to die for" - Tupak

sdanyaro

Dan-Borno ,
Thanks and Allah yasa ka maka da alheri, kuma Allah ya karbi addua. Amin Summa Amin. As for tsaraba, in Allah ya yarda za a samo dan abunda ba za a rasaba.

EMTL

Quote from: sdanyaro on August 20, 2007, 08:00:53 AM
Sunday when I plan to pack my few things and head towards Germany for another week after which I should be back in Nigeria by way of Amsterdam...
Haza wasalam,
Nine mai sauraron ku,
(Dan Arewa a London),
Salisu U. Danyaro.

Allah Kiyaye hanya........ lalle zaka zaga duniya ai da kanemi na zama mai rikon jaka.
In the Affairs of People Fear Allah (SWT). In the Matters Relating to Allah (SWT) Do not be Afraid of Anybody. Ibn Katthab (RA).

Abdalla

Quote from: sdanyaro on August 20, 2007, 08:00:53 AM
Misali, daga Airport sai da na biya kudi wuri na guwan wuri har Fam Hamsin da biyar (Kudin Ingila) sannan aka kawoni Masauki (Hotel). Kuma shi kansa hotel din - daki dan tsirit amma ance sai nabiya kamar Fam Tamanin kowace

Hehehe! But you went as an "Oga"! Mere mortals usually take the tube to central London. No matter where your hotel is, chances are there is a station nearby. All it takes from the station to the hotel is a short walk; or if located far away, a short hop on the black cab. I do agree, however, lugging luggage all over escalators, tunnels, up and down stairways just to save a few pennies is hardly worth it. I remember following that route to from Gatwick to Kings Cross, via Paddington. Too much wahala, and I wished I had taken the cab directly from the airport to the hotel.

As for the tiny room, again there are cheaper alternatives -- from twenty five quid (British English for pound!) to the fify you paid for. But then it depends on the area. Tiny rooms should not worry people like you and me ;D. I am sure my living room tripple-seater sofa is larger than the bed I slept in in Kings Cross! But being vertically challenged (or a "human laptop", it became easier to manage!

I lived in London for years at the height of the Punk era in the 1980s -- and indeed smack in the middle of it at Kings Road. It became a weekend routine to walk up the road from World's End pub to John Lewis super store near Sloane Square. One thing I hated -- still hate -- is football (too dumb to really understand it) so the fact that Stamford Bridge, the home of Chelsea FC is on my daily walk to Bridges' Place where my lectures were held, did not impress me in the least.

Enjoy Londinium, Salisu, and keep watching out for those hulking buses -- all driving on the WRONG side of the road, of course! Get yourself an Oyster travel card and you can enjoy the bus and the trains. If it were up north, Edinburgh maybe, Dave would have met you and treated you to a nice meal of haggis, accompanied by his bagpiping!

Abdalla

HUSNAA

Professor kenan! going down memory lane! those were the good times wot?
U know about yr experience of feminine states of undress in morocco, I wanted to write something similar but u preemted me. I have this russian girlfriend about to get married to a morrocan businessman so they went to visit his extended family about six weeks ago and came back around three weeks ago. We met and she was gisting me about how she was more decently dressed than most of the girls that she met. She said she made a point of wearing a scarf around her head and wearing a long skirt and she found that she needn't have. She said that the girls were worse when it came to going to the beach. It became an affair  to go there. Nothing but designer togs like thongs and Hermes scarves would do. I was so shocked! Thongs! Yep she said with everything jiggling and wiggling and oh they drink alcohol like a fish out of water... real decadence........
Ghafurallahi lana wa lakum

Muhsin

Quote from: sdanyaro on August 20, 2007, 08:07:56 AM
Also one has to be real careful when crossing the streets and roads around here... I came damn close to being splattered by a double decker because I was looking the wrong way expecting the vehicles to be coming from that direction. Allah ya cigaba da karemu.

Malam Salisu kenan, or you were just looking at tall buildings ba irin namu ba that's why? Lol. Allah ya kiyaye gaba. Allah dawo da kai lafiya.
Get to know [and remember] Allah in prosperity & He will know  [and remember] you in adversity.

amira

Ai lallai, there was ousofia in london  ;D now there's Dan arewa in london ;D ;D enjoy.

Quote from: Muhsin on August 21, 2007, 10:56:41 AM

Malam Salisu kenan, or you were just looking at tall buildings ba irin namu ba that's why? Lol. Allah ya kiyaye gaba. Allah dawo da kai lafiya.

;D Tall buildings, yes they are eye catching ;D. Allah dai shi kyauta amin.
*Each day is definately defining me and finding me*

HUSNAA

Quote from: amira on August 21, 2007, 04:32:51 PM
Ai lallai, there was ousofia in london  ;D now there's Dan arewa in london ;D ;D enjoy.

Quote from: Muhsin on August 21, 2007, 10:56:41 AM

;D Tall buildings, yes they are eye catching ;D. Allah dai shi kyauta amin.
There was Dan Arewa a landan long before ousofia made his appearance there. the dan arewan was classier too.

Abdalla

Quote from: HUSNAA on August 21, 2007, 06:15:26 AM
Nothing but designer togs like thongs and Hermes scarves would do. I was so shocked! Thongs! Yep she said with everything jiggling and wiggling and oh they drink alcohol like a fish out of water... real decadence........

You got it! The Moroccons (they pronounce it MARACCANS) I met consider themselves more American than Americans. One guide I had probably thought paradise had its geographical co-ordinates somewhere near Manhattan in New York. Each single dude was trying to out-dude everyone else. Their lack of identity is so complete that they are pitiful. Their phoney American accent, phoney American style music, phoney "downtown" attitude, and phoney "milling about the mall" at night is so pathetic that it is funny. On the beaches each cluster of friends -- from horrid pre-teens to gawky teenagers to families, complete with granny (mercifully not in swimwear), mom, dad, little cousin and bratty baby --is trying to read the "beach bum" script they see in cheap American movies. The dress code on the beach is pretty simple -- as daring as possible without actually going nude -- just like they see on the covers of Elle and Vogue.

They don't smile, they SNEER -- believing that the sneer makes them look evil and cool, like they see on pirated covers of rap and hip hop CDs. They prefer French and Spanish to Arabic; and even then, the Arabic they generally speak is the "trailer trash" type -- no polish, class or elegance. They have absolutely no respect for each other (talk less of guests). They move about the middle of the road and barge into you directly without so much as sorry. Initially I was beginning to get pissed off, then an opportunity to wait for a bus presented itself where I watched them milling about and noted that they simply barge into EACH other -- so it was not  racial thing; although being the only BLACK in the entire village might have contributed to feeling of claustrophobia. But hey, it has happened before in a village called Bellagio, Italy where I resided for sometime -- but that is another story entirely!

We had a joke among the conference attendees about marrying a MARACCAN. I could see myself doing it dead. So I pity your Russian friend. Maybe she should have married a Kuwaiti -- they tended to be a less wilder. Also remember, this is my experience of the MARACCANS I met -- in a coastal fishing village directly across the ocean from Spain; so it is likely that MARACCANS in the hinterland might actually be the quintessential classical Moroccans, proud of their heritage and proud of their religion and their contributions -- no matter how history might judge them -- to African civilization.

As for memory lanes, ain't the only one surely?!? Pestalozzi anyone? 8) 8) 8)

HUSNAA

Quote from: Abdalla on August 21, 2007, 11:00:26 PM
So I pity your Russian friend. Maybe she should have married a Kuwaiti -- they tended to be a less wilder.

Never mind about her, she was probably destined to marry an Arab. All her previous boyfriends except one (who was French) were ethnic arabs of one kind or another. Anyway this one doesnt live in Morocco, neither he nor his parents so she is probably lucky in that respect.

Quote from: Abdalla on August 21, 2007, 11:00:26 PMAs for memory lanes, ain't the only one surely?!? Pestalozzi anyone? 8) 8) 8)
lol Prof  ;D PESTALOZZI FOREVER!!  Last year, I traced two friends whom I havent heard from in 20yrs. At least we plan a reunion with one of them. The other lives in NZ now but not a chance of meeting presently although we are so close geographically. 

Nuruddeen

Allah Kiyaye hanya........ lalle zaka zaga duniya ai da kanemi na zama mai rikon jaka.
[/quote]

Gaskiya ne EMTL Allah ya kiyaye ya mu'allim.
o try and fail is atleast to learn. That will save one the inestimable loss of what might have been (positive or negative).

Abdalla

Quote from: HUSNAA on August 22, 2007, 09:46:45 AM
The other lives in NZ now but not a chance of meeting presently although we are so close geographically. 

It is just a short hop -- about less than three hours I believe; take advantage of summer discounts!

HUSNAA

lol I am on a budget  Prof. that is why it aint poss, even with summer discounts....