News:

Ramadan Mubarak!

I pray that we get the full blessings of Ramadan and may Allah (SWT) grant us more blessings in the year to come.
Amin Summa Amin.

Ramadan Kareem,

Main Menu

HOW DOES THE MEDIA AFFECT A CHILD?

Started by Bee, October 26, 2007, 03:25:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bee

Salam.
        These days,more and more children make the TV thier best companion with the help of technology which has made the media(including computers and video games) ever more powerful.In the average northern home,a child can seat in front of the tele watching one programme or the other for hours and in most homes,the televion has taken over the quality time between parents and thier kids.I sometimes wonder what kind of mental gymnastic is going in a child's mind and what kind of understanding the child has towards what ever he or she see on TV.A child knows the time for what ever programmes he or she wants to see and will give an undivided attention until the end.
         Now the question is, is the media doing a child greater good or has it turn the child into it's helpless slave?
Born To Bee Great

Dan-Borno

Agaisheka stinging master.  This topic is too powerful, as if
you are trying to gather materials and views for your thesis.
However, you have really drawn our attention, especially
those of us who are fathers.

Even though, our fore-friends have already started a discourse
which they couldnt finish before now, try the link while we
continue.  http://kanoonline.com/smf/index.php?topic=1272.0
"My mama always used to tell me: 'If you can't find somethin' to live for, you best find somethin' to die for" - Tupak

Ibro2g

HOnestly, I think a good part of us is what the media makes of us. Most of what we know, our ideas and individual beliefs are from tv. Well, this is serious like Dan Borno said, so I'll look back into this
Safety and Peace

Bajoga

Quote from: Bee on October 26, 2007, 03:25:52 PM
Salam.
        These days,more and more children make the TV thier best companion with the help of technology which has made the media(including computers and video games) ever more powerful.In the average northern home,a child can seat in front of the tele watching one programme or the other for hours and in most homes,the televion has taken over the quality time between parents and thier kids.I sometimes wonder what kind of mental gymnastic is going in a child's mind and what kind of understanding the child has towards what ever he or she see on TV.A child knows the time for what ever programmes he or she wants to see and will give an undivided attention until the end.
         Now the question is, is the media doing a child greater good or has it turn the child into it's helpless slave?

Welllll!!!, this is a big issue, as Dan-Borno already said. You can see people a wasting there time now in watching TV for nothing (i mean suna kallon abubuwan da basu dace ba) dama ace mutun yana kallo wanda zai karu ne ta fannin addini,aiki  da da sauki.

Our problem is time, we are not respecting it, consider it, kawai muna wasting time dinmu ne a banza.

Gaskiya Iyaye it is your/our responsibility muga cewa dukkan yaranmu na kula/respecting time, not to wast it, in watching useless channel in the TV. Islamically, we can not say TV haramunne, but in one way or the other, mudin ne kuma zamu iya haramtashi. If we are using it wajen kallon abubuwan addini (eg aikin hajj, karatun Qur'ani dss)wannan yana da kyau, amma idan muna amfani dashi wajen kallon useless firms zamu iya cewa haramunne.

I hope in nayi kuskure somebody can help me.
HASBUNALLAHI............

Bee

Salam.
     Thanks for the link Dan Barno.That was something(ashe an riga ni).All those who have contributed are right and, most say the media does more harm than good.Personally,i think the media does help the child if used possitively.There are actually child friendly progarammes,shows and movies.The parent or guardian is supposed to monitor how the child uses the media.Most adults do not really grab why it is necessary to do that but they keep complaining anyway.We have got children's shows and we have also got shows ment for the older viewers.
     There was this programme,Seseme street.It was so nice and educative and i loved it when i was a kid and i am possitive that most kids loved it at the time.Other progarammes included tales at moon light,knowledge is wisdom(magana jari ce.Na manta in haka ne da turanci) and even the hausa dramas(wasan kwaukwayo)like Boloko and Dan wanzam.The point is, we do not have such progarammes now and even if we do have them,most kids are use to watching advanced shows that are not ment for them.When i was a kid,my parent never let me,my brothers and siters watch anything without them viewing it first then they'll let us see it if it is ok by them.They monitor and supervise how we use the media.We were not even allowed to watch indain movies(we all know how interesting they were at the time and i think that contributed to why i do not fancy indian movies till date)and all that worked for us and same thing is happening to my younger brothers and sisters now.
     A child is a child and a parent is a parent.You will find a child that cannot recite the surat Fatiha but can sing a hausa movie love song.That is so dissapointing.Every  parent should take resposibility when it comes to the child and the media and stop blaming what ever happens on something else.I believe that there will be a great difference and a possitive one if parents and guardian could identify were the problem originates from and it is only then that we all can tacle it.May Allah help use all.
Born To Bee Great

Dan-Borno

Quote from: Bee on October 31, 2007, 12:48:24 PM
A child is a child and a parent is a parent.You will find a child that cannot recite the surat Fatiha but can sing a hausa movie love song.That is so dissapointing.Every  parent should take resposibility when it comes to the child and the media and stop blaming what ever happens on something else.

The Stinging Master, abin ba a cewa komai, as for
those of us who are married with family, I think our
women should put in more effort, as much of the
time they watch these films and music we were busy
adding 1 + 1 on the street and never can tell.

Mata kuma, for you to stop them from watching this
hausa movies or music, it is a big task. 

Let me share this personal story with you.  We are
all sitted at the Main Parlour when my 3 years old
daughter ask us to keep quite, out attention all went
to her and she started singing:

Mai Babbar Riga
Mai Babbar Mota
Blah blah blah

This is a song from one of these popular hausa films
even though I have never watched it.  So, sai jiki na
yayi sanyi and immediately i remembered we were
discussing the effects of the media on our children,
muna da babban aiki a gaban mu.

Allah ya taimakemu mu kare kanmu da ya'yanmu daga
wutan jahannama. Amin
"My mama always used to tell me: 'If you can't find somethin' to live for, you best find somethin' to die for" - Tupak

Bee

Salam
      That is true Dan Barno.You see,why most hausa women watch these movies in most cases is because they really have got nothing to do.Something that will really keep them occupied.All they do is sit home,eat,sleep, watch the tv,cook and wait on the husband.That is a pretty boring life to me and naturally,a child is much closer to it's mother especially at young age.
      And lets not put it this way:stop women from watching hausa movies.They are adults not kids.I think the best way we can help our women is to sit them down and talk o them about the effects the media has on the kids.If at all they want to watch such movies,then they have got the right to do so but only when the kids are away.I think that is a step forward.
Born To Bee Great

Dan-Borno

Yeah, i think that will yield a positive result, if at
all the women folk will understand it this way.

Could you believe they hate watching the films
without the presence of the children? i dont know
why, may be Hakuri and Mimum can throw more
light  ;D   8)

Bee

Of course they will.A woman understood that.Quite a number do and plenty more will.And why will they hate watchig such films without the children?Hmmm.I do not think they hate it.I think it has to do with what they see happening in their homes before they got married and feel there is really nothing wrong with that.If that is the case,they need to be told the negative effects.That way,i think they will adjust.May Allah help us all.
Born To Bee Great

Bajoga

Quote from: Dan-Borno on November 06, 2007, 06:07:57 PM
Quote from: Bee on October 31, 2007, 12:48:24 PM

The Stinging Master, abin ba a cewa komai, as for
those of us who are married with family, I think our
women should put in more effort, as much of the
time they watch these films and music we were busy
adding 1 + 1 on the street and never can tell.

Mata kuma, for you to stop them from watching this
hausa movies or music, it is a big task. 

Let me share this personal story with you.  We are
all sitted at the Main Parlour when my 3 years old
daughter ask us to keep quite, out attention all went
to her and she started singing:

Mai Babbar Riga
Mai Babbar Mota
Blah blah blah

This is a song from one of these popular hausa films
even though I have never watched it.  So, sai jiki na
yayi sanyi and immediately i remembered we were
discussing the effects of the media on our children,
muna da babban aiki a gaban mu.

Allah ya taimakemu mu kare kanmu da ya'yanmu daga
wutan jahannama. Amin

That is true but let us not given our mives advise akan cewa idan zasu kalli fim it should be the absent of our children, kawai mu nuna musu rashin dacewarsa da illarsa and we have/must bring it's subtitute wanda hakan can cause good halaye ga iyalanmu.
DB, gaskiya maganarka is true kaga small kids are singing music especially ma hausa songs, wannan kusan 75% na magidanta suna da irin wannan in their families, the best thing to reduce/eliminate this matsala ina ga mu kashe wa children dinmu free time dinsu, eg idan yaro yaje pri. sch. ya dawo in the afternoon let him go to a lesson till evening then he now go to islam, da dai makamantansu.

Quote from: Dan-Borno on November 06, 2007, 08:52:10 PM
Yeah, i think that will yield a positive result, if at
all the women folk will understand it this way.

Could you believe they hate watching the films
without the presence of the children? i dont know
why, may be Hakuri and Mimum can throw more
light  ;D   8)

Of couse haka ne, the reason was that, su suna ganin cewa haka kamar reno ne a wurinsu, the can keep their children in one place wanda kuma ba haka bane.

Secondly, yawancin mutane suna son kallon hausa fim ne because suna jin abinda ake fadi,suna ganin cewa actress & actors din wadanda aka sani ne sosai dss ire-irensu.

Babban abu dai kawai mu tashi mu gyara.
Allah ya taimakemu. 
HASBUNALLAHI............