News:

Ramadan Mubarak!

I pray that we get the full blessings of Ramadan and may Allah (SWT) grant us more blessings in the year to come.
Amin Summa Amin.

Ramadan Kareem,

Main Menu

What are you reading today?

Started by Muhsin, December 06, 2007, 10:57:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gogannaka

I want to read all about the nigerian civil war. I want to also see pictures or documentaries.
I also want to read about mai-tatsine.
Any help?
Surely after suffering comes enjoyment

Muhsin

@GGNK,

Have you ever tried library--Murtala Muhammad Library? They have, in their archives, many old newspapers, magazines and journals which I believe lots of contain the information you are looking for. For example, I once read an old magazine that covers the happenings of '80 such include Shagari's re-ection, Maitatsine's unrest (or even war?), Buhari and IBB's coups, death of Dele Giwa, Nigerian victory at Nation Cup, attempted murders on US Jimmy Cater and Pope John, Ghandi's death, aftermath of Iranian revolution, and so on. Very informative, wallahi. 

What am I reading today?

I'm reading many religious mini-books and pamphlets brought to us by a brother.
Get to know [and remember] Allah in prosperity & He will know  [and remember] you in adversity.

gogannaka

Thank you Muhsin.
It didn't occur to me. I would be impressed if they have newspapers that date back to the civil war in stock.

Now i am reading the book 'How the mighty fall and why some companies never give in' By Jim Collins.
A very interesting piece that tries to compare how big companies fall and how some don't.

Muhsin

Assalamu alaikum,

LOL ;D GGNK. You know how things are sometimes, right?

Am reading many literatures on Islam versus Christianity these days. We've been discussing, intensively, with Christians brethren on another discussion forum. Thus there is an urgent need for us to defend our religion with incontestable proofs, wisdom and in decorum and civility.
Get to know [and remember] Allah in prosperity & He will know  [and remember] you in adversity.

gogannaka

I am reading Alexander the great's history on wikipedia.
Imagine,the guy died at the age of 32.
He almost conquered the world at 32 years. Hmmmm!
Almost my mate.

Muhsin

Quote from: gogannaka on July 18, 2009, 11:53:22 AM
I am reading Alexander the great's history on wikipedia.
Imagine,the guy died at the age of 32.
He almost conquered the world at 32 years. Hmmmm!
Almost my mate.

LOL ;D

I only watched the film some time ago.

Muhsin

Muhsin

I just finished reading Sheldon's The Other Side of Midnight in the morning today.

Am now reading Arab Intellectuals and the West by Hisham Sharabi

babushe

I am reading KIRAN DESAI's Hullabaloo in the Guava Orchard. It is the delightful story of Sampath Chawla, bored post office clerk and dreamer, who takes to the branches of a secluded guava tree in search of the contemplative life-only to find something rather different...

Desai was born in India in 1971, and was educated in India, England and the United States.Her second novel, The Inheritance of Loss, won the MAN BOOKER PRIZE in 2006 and was shortlisted for the Orange Broadband Prize for Fiction in 2007.

Muhsin

Muhsin

GoodFella

Beginning today, treat everyone you meet as if he or she were going to be dead by midnight. Extend to them all the care, kindness, and understanding you can muster, and do so with no thought of any reward. Your life will never be the same again.
— Og Mandino (Motivational Author & Speaker)

Muhsin

Quote from: GoodFella on December 16, 2009, 06:01:13 PM
NOTHING.

Really? Not even your school "materials"? Or Qur'an and/or other religious books?  ???

babushe

I just finished with The white Tiger by Aravind Adiga, 2008 Booker prize winner.

It is a debut, and one of the most engaging novels I have read in recent time. It knocked my socks off.
Here is a review from Financial Times.

The White Tiger
Review by Adrian Turpin

The White Tiger
By Aravind Adiga
Atlantic Books £12.99, 321 pages
FT bookshop price: £10.39

Literature has a noble tradition of sympathetic psychopaths. Balram Halwai, protagonist of Aravind Adiga's impressive first novel, demands admittance to their hall of fame.

On the run after committing murder, Balram spends his nights writing to the Chinese premier, who is about to visit India. His intention is to correct misconceptions about his country. But what he offers is no bloodless sociology lesson. Everything worth knowing about the "new" India is in the story of his life, from village teashop boy to Bangalore entrepreneur.

The White Tiger is a book of two Indias. The first is a country of light, the necklace of relatively prosperous cities near the ocean. The second, into which Balram is born, is "the Darkness", whose presiding deity is the mud of the Ganges in which little flourishes and from which nothing escapes.

Or almost nothing. For, like the white tiger, Balram is a creature that you might meet once in a lifetime. The son of a rickshaw driver, he defies the expectations of his caste to become chauffeur to a corrupt local landlord. From here, it only needs a little blackmail before he finds his way to Delhi, driving his boss's son.

Adiga's portrait of the Indian capital is very funny but unmistakably angry. From his master's Honda, an increasingly unhinged Balram observes a city riven with status anxiety, where every sparkling new mall hides in its hinterland a flea-bitten market for service staff; every bottle of Johnnie Walker has a bootleg counterpart. Above all, it's a vision of a society of people complicit in their own servitude: to paraphrase Balram, they are roosters guarding the coop, aware they're for the chop, yet unwilling to escape.

Ultimately, the tiger refuses to stay caged. Balram's violent bid for freedom is shocking. What, we're left to ask, does it make him – just another thug in India's urban jungle or a revolutionary and idealist? It's a sign of this book's quality, as well as of its moral seriousness, that it keeps you guessing to the final page and beyond.
.Copyright The Financial Times Limited 2009. You may share using our article tools

IBB

Let me share mine too.

I read these lately;

Confession of An Economic Hitman by John Perkins
The Secret by Rhonda Byrne
The Mystery of Capitalism Why Capitalism Triump in the West and Fails Everywhere Else by Hernando De Soto

I,am currently reading Freakonomics A Rogue Economist Explores the Hidden Side of Everything by Steven D. Levitt & Stephen J. Dubner
IHS