News:

Ramadan Mubarak!

I pray that we get the full blessings of Ramadan and may Allah (SWT) grant us more blessings in the year to come.
Amin Summa Amin.

Ramadan Kareem,

Main Menu

What are you reading today?

Started by Muhsin, December 06, 2007, 10:57:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gogannaka

Muhsin lallai kuwa i read newspapers but mainly online.
I learnt that Sanusi Lamido with all his schedules still finds time to read.

UmmuT where are u? Kano,Kaduna ko ingila?
Surely after suffering comes enjoyment

ummutameem

@ muhsin, wallahi i remember, i even told my sister, one thing or d other, u know how it is, ive taken d grishams to kt, d only one wit me is d associate (which im reading), i still hav young ones a buk, r u still there? inbox me ur no. n ll send some other ones IA. beta late than never!!!!!!!!

@ggnk, im in lagos my brother, am i 2 far away? at least ba ingila nake ba.

im still reading d associate, i don tire for d book jare, 2mr IA.

gogannaka

UmmuT how are u finding lagos.Its a lovely place isn't it?
Have you watched the documentary 'welcome to lagos?'

I have got some books i'd love to re-read.
Arrow of God
Things fall apart
I am surprised i cannot remember the stories vividly.

ummutameem

lagos is ok, not as rowdy as ppl make it out to be. is d documentary dat controversial one by bbc that aired a while ago? havnt watched dat one but i hear lagos state demanded an apology 4rm bbc.

i read things fall apart in my first yr uni, i cant remember wat its all about, time has passed n alot has happened d memory just got displaced smhow.

ive been eyeing some wole soyinkas at d bookshop but i was told his books r hard to understand, is it true? hav u read any?

Dan-Borno

Reading Max Siollun's Oil, Politics and Violence -
Nigeria's Military Coup CUlture (1966 - 1976)
and thanks to IBB of Kanoonline who took the pain
of buying and DHLing the book to me.

I am ever gratefull Para Lawyer
"My mama always used to tell me: 'If you can't find somethin' to live for, you best find somethin' to die for" - Tupak

gogannaka

Quote from: ummutameem on May 14, 2010, 09:21:00 AM
lagos is ok, not as rowdy as ppl make it out to be. is d documentary dat controversial one by bbc that aired a while ago? havnt watched dat one but i hear lagos state demanded an apology 4rm bbc.

i read things fall apart in my first yr uni, i cant remember wat its all about, time has passed n alot has happened d memory just got displaced smhow.

ive been eyeing some wole soyinkas at d bookshop but i was told his books r hard to understand, is it true? hav u read any?

UmmuT watch it on youtube. Its fascinating. You can then Judge if they really need to apologise.

Wole Soyinka is fake (to me). I wouldn't even enjoy his book.
Actually he is one person that i am happy not liking  ::)
I think he's just too arrogant,thinking that his literal abilities make him a demi-god.

gogannaka

Quote from: Dan-Borno on May 14, 2010, 11:41:51 AM
Reading Max Siollun's Oil, Politics and Violence -
Nigeria's Military Coup CUlture (1966 - 1976)
and thanks to IBB of Kanoonline who took the pain
of buying and DHLing the book to me.

I am ever gratefull Para Lawyer

Nima ina so. A aiko min da yadda ake yi.
I read the excerpts from the book and i have been craving it alot.
Max is a good writer ko?

ummutameem

@ggnk, tanx 4 d info, i never liked d guy, ll put off reading his book for a while n ll watch d documentary.

@dan borno, u r lucky to hav friends dat dhl books to u, me i dont want to read d book but id really appreciate a summary or just d gist of it when u r thru.

havent read d papers today, ll go to thisdayonline to get d headlines

Muhsin

Quote from: ummutameem on May 13, 2010, 11:10:18 PM
@ muhsin, wallahi i remember, i even told my sister, one thing or d other, u know how it is, ive taken d grishams to kt, d only one wit me is d associate (which im reading), i still hav young ones a buk, r u still there? inbox me ur no. n ll send some other ones IA. beta late than never!!!!!!!!

Hmm... I thought you forgot. Although as you might have noticed I read some Grisham's after we've "spoken". But they are still welcome.

And I am still in BUK--in my final year, inshaAllah. I'll PM you my number right away.

@ggnk, im in lagos my brother, am i 2 far away? at least ba ingila nake ba.

im still reading d associate, i don tire for d book jare, 2mr IA.

You are of course in Lagos. That word--jare--reminds me of my question to my Yoruba friends aboard Nairaland. They almost always write it, and I later asked them of its meaning. There were times I used it afterwards.
Get to know [and remember] Allah in prosperity & He will know  [and remember] you in adversity.

ummutameem

@ muhsin they say when u r in rome..........., u just pick these things without knowing. ll send other novels then as my grishams r not hia, my bros farouk ll cal u on mon IA, where r u new or old campus? let me go n get em now b4 i forget

Muhsin

Quote from: gogannaka on May 14, 2010, 12:31:29 PMWole Soyinka is fake (to me). I wouldn't even enjoy his book.
Actually he is one person that i am happy not liking  ::)
I think he's just too arrogant,thinking that his literal abilities make him a demi-god.

You don't have to make it any clear (by saying to you, in particular), GGNK; Soyinaka is, to many, even among literary students, no more than fake. He doesn't even deserve the Nobel Prize he's awarded. Everyone knows Chinua Achebe, the realistic author of the Things Fall Apart, deserves the accolade more than him; and any African who penned any text then, thats 1986.

That was a long argument, thus let me leave it for now.
Get to know [and remember] Allah in prosperity & He will know  [and remember] you in adversity.

gogannaka

Thanks Muhsin.
Today i went to buy a book 'the biography of Bukhari' and i saw a book by Soyinka. I just remembered this discussion.
I opened the book and to my surprise it didn't have any words....lol
Turancin ya kare ya koma drawing hahahaha.

Now i am about to start reading the biography of Bukhari.
I learnt that reading Good people's (sometimes even the bad people) biographies makes u want to be a good person too.
A person that will change the world.

Muhsin

Quote from: ummutameem on May 14, 2010, 06:41:21 PM
@ muhsin they say when u r in rome..........., u just pick these things without knowing. ll send other novels then as my grishams r not hia, my bros farouk ll cal u on mon IA, where r u new or old campus? let me go n get em now b4 i forget

...behave like Romans do. Thats true.

I'm at New Site. We're gonna meet, inshaAllah. Thanks so much.

ummutameem

Dan-Borno

enjoying Samuel P. Huntington's "The Clash of Civilizations
and the Remaking of World Order" courtesy of kanoonline
IBB, he just DHL it to me.  Godiya nake Para-Lawyer.

Mama T, your earlier request is still been processed, and a summary of
Max Siolluns book will hit your inbox

A huta gajiya
"My mama always used to tell me: 'If you can't find somethin' to live for, you best find somethin' to die for" - Tupak