News:

Ramadan Mubarak!

I pray that we get the full blessings of Ramadan and may Allah (SWT) grant us more blessings in the year to come.
Amin Summa Amin.

Ramadan Kareem,

Main Menu

Is Obasanjo Biased Against Islam?

Started by EMTL, May 29, 2004, 08:58:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

_Waziri_

Ok, now I believe everybody can see the deadlock we all are in, which  brings out the reality of things as it is.

Let me put it this way:

You cannot substantiate your case against those Muslims who ruled Nigeria in the past.

I refuse to absolve them from your charge against them.

Then the conclusion to every fair mind is there is no case. Since the argument and the counter argument contain null answers. This I think is most understable. No case in "lopsidedness in appointments" against Muslims who ruled Nigeria in the past.

On a more serious note. I am a Muslim who believe that,  in the 21th century, Secularism and Irreligion are the greatest vices that all well meaning individuals must put fight against. As a result the battle I fight all my life is directed at showing all Muslims and Christians alike that their commom enemy lurks behind secular forces which we must join hands to fight for in it is accompanied that force that always tries stripping us off our most cherished values and moral attributes. I pray I will find more who will join me in this CRUSADE that hopes to cleanse mankind from damage done to them by the unrepentant secularists.  

OBJ and any other person of sincere intentions must then see that Christians and Muslims can be brothers and sisters fighting against a common enemy.

mallamt

Quote from: "Khalil"Ok, now I believe everybody can see the deadlock we all are in, which  brings out the reality of things as it is.

Not true Khalil

QuoteLet me put it this way:

You cannot substantiate your case against those Muslims who ruled Nigeria in the past.

I refuse to absolve them from your charge against them.

Then the conclusion to every fair mind is there is no case. Since the argument and the counter argument contain null answers. This I think is most understable. No case in "lopsidedness in appointments" against Muslims who ruled Nigeria in the past.

You are contradicting yourself here you say you refuse to absolve them from the charges yet you say the argument and counter argument contain null answers. This contradiction you are presenting can only lead to an unfair conclusion and not a fair one like you are trying to say.

QuoteSecularism and Irreligion are the greatest vices that all well meaning individuals must put fight against. As a result the battle I fight all my life is directed at showing all Muslims and Christians alike that their commom enemy lurks behind secular forces which we must join hands to fight for in it is accompanied that force that always tries stripping us off our most cherished values and moral attributes. I pray I will find more who will join me in this CRUSADE that hopes to cleanse mankind from damage done to them by the unrepentant secularist

Very controversial statement, I hope it is only a personal veiw and you are open to discussion with people who have opposing veiws.

QuoteOBJ and any other person of sincere intentions must then see that Christians and Muslims can be brothers and sisters fighting against a common enemy.

In veiw of the context you are saying this I reserve my comments but when veiwed from a broader perspective (when the common enemy is poverty, illetracy, corruption, violence, crime, joblessness, disease etc)no one could have said it better.

_Waziri_

Interesting indeed, but let me make some final comment.

I said you could not substantiate your case and I refuse to absolve them from your charges. This left all the arguments for and against  barren and NULL. And here  you are saying this is contradictory. Really dunno why.

And to the other part of my statements you said are controversial and yet refused to pin point what is controversial in them. I pray we are not coming round the circle of making empty assertions again.

Tis really been fun chatting with you. Some other time.

Indabawa

mallamt,
It is too easy to ignore your arguments but difficult to resist raising some issues from your latest submission.

You seem to be self contradicting by repeatedly asserting and re-asserting that OBJ as either being fare or lopsided in his appointments.

I must therefore safely inpute that your line of argument is a :lol:  typical of the self-serving elite that must bear the full responsibility of the perrenial cyclical retrogression of Nigeria as a nation.

What i assume you glibly want your listeners(or readers ) to believe is that you were being impartial in your arguments.However, any discernible observer will easily identify the interest you represent-OBJ apologists.

Therefore in my opinion, what one should bear in mind is to be couragiuos enough to always show his true color so as to make it easier for others to know at which platform one should stand when parring an issue.

In conclusion,i should again reiterate my earliar stand which i happily note Mr Dave,khalil and others share in that Nigeria truely needs a thorougly de-trabilise,just and fare leader.A leader who is ready to adopt a "Mandela option";not the present pretenders who deliberately compound Nigeria's myriad of complexities.

Best regards. :D  :D  :D
e who kneels to Allah can stand up to anything.

mallamt

Quote from: "Khalil"Interesting indeed, but let me make some final comment.
I said you could not substantiate your case and I refuse to absolve them from your charges. This left all the arguments for and against  barren and NULL. And here  you are saying this is contradictory. Really dunno why.
QuoteYes, actually there was not any lopsidedness in appointments in the past administrations. Remember, in intellectual discourses we are suppose to accompany our submissions with some factual evidence. It is not my responsibility to go and verify your claim for you. It is your soul responsibility to do it yourself.
QuoteMallamt, it appears like you are saying the lopsidedness in appointments has always been happening? I think this a mere presumption at whatever scale unless if we have some evidence to prove it.
I have taken advantage of this technology to refresh you about your statements.  This is being done under the assumption that you believe in fair play and are being consistent with your position therefore you are not oing to shift the goal post

1)  The last of the three qoutes of your posting was the very second posting on this subject matter, this was after EMTL posted a list of appointees that OBJ made and are christians.  That posting was the evidence of lopsided appointments made by OBJ as provided by EMTL.  One can easily see from your comment in the bottom qoute from you that you had no problem with the evidence and by extension you agree with the evidence produced and therefore that is also your position.  It is also evident from you remarks that you are in disagreement with those who held a position that lopsided appointments in favour of muslims had been happening with past govts thus your request for a proof of such and did not even attempt to disproof such perceptions or facts.
2)  In your third posting you go further to reemphasize that there was never lopsided appointments in past govts in favour of muslims and again insist on proof of the occurrence of such.  This is a further indication of your position.
3)  So let us look at what your last posting and the question you asked.  You are trying to say that because you have "refused to absolve them" and "I can not proof" lopsided appointments took place in past govts then it is a null argument.  This is the furtherest thing from the truth there is no null argument as evident from your previous postings.  a) You have taken a position which is based on your agreeing with the list therefore you have a position in the argument which can not be said to be null. b) I have a position on this argument which can not be said to be a null position.
4)  You say that you "refuse to absolve them from your charge against them" and because you refuse to absolve the arguments are null.  Your statement is very redundant - saying nothing, it is just symantics, how can you absolve them when you agree with them? Do you see any null situation here?
If you are using the concept of the null hypothesis remember that it is basically used to show or proof a particular position

On the issue of controversial statement oh no we are not going round in circles.  Let me give you some key things you have said: a) "Secularism and irreligion are the greatest vices....individuals must put fight against"-I know a lot of people who will disagree with you and a lot who will agree with you and then there is the constitution and individual rights. b)".....common enemy lurks behind secular forces..." - again controversial statement.  Just go through that part of your posting again carefully and think about what you are saying.

mallamt

Quote from: "Indabawa"mallamt,
You seem to be self contradicting by repeatedly asserting and re-asserting that OBJ as either being fare or lopsided in his appointments.
.....What i assume you glibly want your listeners(or readers ) to believe is that you were being impartial in your arguments.However, any discernible observer will easily identify the interest you represent-OBJ apologists.

Best regards. :D  :D  :D

Idabawa
I am no sure what you are refering to as regards my being contradictory in my last post.  I never said OBJ was being fair with the current lopsided appointments, all I have said or tried to point out is that we must not pretend or ignore the past.  We can never as nigerians have any meaningful discussion of our future today if we ignore yesterday.  We must try and put discussions of our country into perspective and the only way to do that is to discuss look at current happenings and trace them back into history to try and understand them and therefore correct them in a meaningful way.  That is the "Mandela" approach you are talking about.  Are you aware that there were months and months of discussions in SA before any agreements were made?  Did you know that discussions started when Mandela was still in prison and when he came out you had CODESA which collasped and then you had the second round of discussions?  It is a process my friend and the past must be discussed today if we are to shape a meaningful tommorrow.

EMTL

Assalamu alaikum,
A multi-million naira structure that would house a Presidential Library and Museum is soon to sprout in Otta, a sprawling industrial location in Ogun State.

It will sit on a 36 acres piece of land and is fashioned after those founded and facilitated by several former presidents of the United States.

Presidential Senior Special Adviser on Research and Strategy, Ad'Obe Obe, is co-coordinating the project while Aso Rock Chief Librarian Nyaknno Osso will play a vital role in its setting up.

The choice of Otta is tailored to fit into the American experience where former presidents site such monuments either in their hometowns or favourite places of abode. Obasanjo has a sprawling investment interest in Otta spanning agriculture, education and hospitality.

WHAT THIS MEANS IS THAT OBJ WILL AGAIN USE OUR MONEY AND BUILD A LIBRARY IN THE OTA FARM. LETS WE FORGET OTTA FARM WAS ACTUALLY A PROJECT FUNDED BY WORLD BANK/UNDP FOR NIGERIA BUT OBJ HAS SINCE MADE OTTA FARM HIS PERSONAL PROPERTY......
In the Affairs of People Fear Allah (SWT). In the Matters Relating to Allah (SWT) Do not be Afraid of Anybody. Ibn Katthab (RA).

mallamt

EMTL

Thanx for the information.  Now can we see forumites? How can we let a leadership that has made so much noise about corruption do this?  Why is nobody holding this man to account? If this is going to be a pattern I belive it must be put through the senate and legislature then we know that every president from now on in nigeria is entitle to this type of development.  Does anyone by any chance have an idea of how much this library would cost or even a rough estimate?

alhaji_aminu

salam
EMTL  yallabai. On one hand, we cannot see how OBJ can do this with his pocket money or salary. On the otherhand, we cannot proove OBJ is doing this project with stolen money. The dilemma is that the people running the project will not tell us, the Nigeria people, who is funding the center.
It is most likely going to be built by OBJ's supporters who benefitted form contracts given to them. I dont know what to say. Its funny and sad at the same time that the administration that created ICPC is perhaps the most blatantly corrupt regime Nigeria has seen.
yaushe zamuga karshe wannan wahalar da OBJ yake bawa jama'a?
Allah help us all.

Indabawa

Forumites,

I must admit that i am extermely sad, for our vain lamentations.Reason:was it not our so called leaders that falls all over themselves to impose this man on us prior to 1999?

Was it not also the same myopic "stratagists", who blatantly contrived the prevailing charade, just to foolishly placate the vacous irredentists?

Our so called leaders, whom i prepare to address as sell-outs, had commited a grievious political suicide!

In my view therefore,we should not continue to lament our conditions,rather,we should strive to frustrate all the efforts of these rapacious ex-this,ex-that for their trying to remain relevant in the political chess game of the federation.

Or most importantly,we should borrow a leaf from our brothers in the south-west; by their attitude of "dealing" with all those they felt had betrayed their common cause,no matter their standing in the society.

It is perhaps this knowledge of eventual ostracisation, that compells OBJ and indeed any Yoruba leader to act as they do.

Therefore blame not OBJ but our selfish and shameless 'leaders'.

Shame on YOU arewa leaders for taking the destiny of the whole country in to the present political cul-de-suc. :(
e who kneels to Allah can stand up to anything.

mallamt

Quote from: "Indabawa"Forumites,

In my view therefore,we should not continue to lament our conditions,rather,we should strive to frustrate all the efforts of these rapacious ex-this,ex-that for their trying to remain relevant in the political chess game of the federation.

:(

Very well said and couldn't agree with you more

mrguest

Quote from: "lionger"couldn't have said it better, mallamt. I was even prepared to give this post the benefit of the doubt until i came across the inflattering conclusion:

QuoteAllah will definitely come to our rescue and save us from the CAN agenda of reducing us to flotsam and jetsam of the Nigeria society.
the amusing thing is that if u speak to some christians they will tell u Obasanjo is a stooge of the muslim north, whereas most ppl here will say he is a christian/yoruba sympathiser.  Each side believes Uncle Sege is protecting the interests of the other. lol this is the hallmark of a truly incompetent leadership and of a people who are still not ready to learn the lesson of past failures.

http://nigeriacom.proboards32.com/index.cgi
atch nigeria first online Television Naija television and 16 Nigeria radio, and 60 more Tv station around the world.
http://www.nigeriaone.com
http://www.nigeriaone.com

EMTL

Assalamu alaikum,
NATIONAL DA'WAH CO-ORDINATION COMMITTEE  NATIONAL MOSQUE ABUJA, NIGERIA.

PRESS CONFERENCE AT THE NATIONAL MOSQUE ABUJA ON THE 23RD OF FEBRUARY 2005.
Gentlemen of the Press, you are all welcome to this Press Conference called to ventilate our strong

feelings and state our opinion and that of other millions of Nigerian Muslims on this unpatriotic, unjust, ill-conceived, ill-motivated and anti Islamic composition of the National Political Reform Conference inaugurated by President Obasanjo on Monday, 21st of February 2005.

It is most unfortunate and most uncharitable for a man who wishes to be seen as the father of a new Nigeria and who had been carrying out reforms both political and economic to go out of his way to exhibit in a crude and irresponsible manner his Christian bigotry in a way that can lead to chaos and anarchy in this country. For President Obasanjo to so constitute the national Confab, which he said was to cool the nerves of the various aggrieved stakeholders , in a way that blatantly disregards the religious character of the nation, quite oblivious of the sentimental disposition of the Muslims who incontrovertibly constitute the majority in this country is most disturbing.  

This is a great affront on Islam and the Muslims. To have appointed Justice Niki Tobi, a Christian deacon from the South-South ,as the chairman and Mathew Hassan Kukah, a catholic reverend father from the North,where the predominating culture is Islamic as secretary is completely out of order. This is inspite of the advice of many Muslim governors, PDP chieftains,religious leaders and even the press when the rumor gained currency that these two Christians were to head the conference and another Christian to head the secretariat of the confab. [This has shown that what Obasanjo is practicing is not democracy but Obasanjotocracy or what somebody called Babatocracy.]

The purpose of this press briefing is to let the world know that President Obasanjo's Christianisation agenda may lead to the end of this country if nothing is done to call him to order. It also meant to focus the searchlight on this odious trend which did not start with the composition of the National Confab but has been the trend since the beginning of his second time in office. And we shall provide the facts and figures .

When Obasanjo constituted the cabinet for his second term in office, he appointed 42 ministers out of whom only 16 were Muslims and 26 were Christians. In the whole of Kwara, Kogi, South West, South East and South South, there was not a single Muslim  

No. of Christians    26
No. of Muslim     16
Percentage of Christians   61.9%
Percentage of Muslims   38.1%
No. of Special Advisers and aides  60
No. of Christians    47
No. of Muslims     13
Percentage of Muslims   21.7%
Percentage of Christians   78.3%

It was only when the National Council of Muslim Youth Organizations (NACOMYO) protested that Engr. Bashir Awotorebo was appointed from Osun State; and today he is the only Muslim in the Cabinet from the Southern part of Nigeria, Kwara, Kogi inclusive.  

In the list of Special Advisers and Aides there was not a single Muslim from the South West, South East and South South, whereas he was able to appoint Christians from Muslims dominated areas like Borno, Bauchi and Kaduna States.

We should also not forget that when President Obasanjo constituted the Oputa Panel he rode roughshod over the Muslims by appointing Justice Oputa, a Christian as chairman, Rev. Father Hassan Kukah as secretary, and most of the panelists were also Christians but nobody raised a finger of protest. This must have emboldened the President to continue his Muslims cleansing agenda unabated.  

USING CHRISTIANS TO REPLACE MUSLIMS AND CHRISTIANS TO REPLACE CHRISTIANS.

After Obasanjo realised that the leadership of the Muslim community have been sufficiently caged and had capitulated to his autocracy, the trend started that when a Muslim is removed, replaced or retired from a public office he is automatically replaced by a Christian and when a Christian is removed, another Christian is waiting in the wings to replace him or her. A few examples will suffice:

When Nasiru el-Rufai was appointed a Minister and had to leave the Bureau for Public Enterprise he was replaced by one Julius Bala a Christian.

When Alh. Ibrahim Mohammed Jarma retired as Comptroller of Prisons he was replaced by one Mr. Sam Akpe a Christian.

When Alh. Aminu Dabo was removed as the boss of Nigeria Port Authority, he was replaced by Mr. Bayo Sarumi a Christian.

When Alh.Ahmed Mustafa retired as the Comptroller of Customs he was replaced by Mr. John Gyam Buba a Christian.

When Bello Sulayman was removed as Managing Director National Electric Power Authority he was replaced by Mr. Joseph Makoju a Christian

When Alh. Ballama Manu was removed as the Director General of Federal Inland Revenue Board, he was replaced by Ms Ifueko Omoigui a Christian.

When Alh. Mahe Rasheed against the recommendation of the Board of Central Bank was not allowed to have a second term as Deputy Governor; he was replaced by one Mrs.Wahir Mshelia a Christian.

When Alhaji Rilwan Lukman voluntarily retired as special adviser on Petroleum he was replaced by Edmund Dakoro a Christian.

Now let us examine the religious persuasion of those who have been replacing Christians removed in the like manner.

When Chief Sunday Oluwole Oduyemi retired as Deputy of Governor of Central Bank another Christian Mr. Tunde Lemo ,former Managing Director of Wema Bank was brought in to replace him.

When Chief Joseph Sanusi after a meritorious service retired as the Governor of Central Bank another Christian Professor Charles Soludo replaced him.

Soludo himself was Economic Adviser to the President before he was appointed as Governor of Central Bank. So, when he went to the Central Bank the popular belief within the Banking Industry was that one Alh. Tajudeen Adeola , one of the most successful bankers will be appointed in his place. Alas his Muslim background proved the albatross. Professor Ade Ojowu came instead as Economic Adviser.

When Lady Nwizu Comptroller of Immigration Services died, all the Muslims who were next to her were retired and one Chukwuma Udeh was recently appointed to take her place.

When Dr. Jackson Obaseki was removed as Managing Director of NNPC Dr.Funso Kupolokun another Christian was brought in.

When Ferdinard Agu was removed as Director General of National Maritime Authority was replaced by Festus Ugwu.

Just last week the President inaugurated the Board of the newly created Board for Universal Basic Education, of the 10 members 6 are Christians and the Chairman is also a Christian. The list is as follows:-

Professor Anezi Okoro (Christian) Chairman
Professor Egu Egiru (Christian)
Barrister Boluwaji Kunlere (Christian)
Dr. O. M. Ekennia (Christian)
Mrs. Eme Ekaette (Christian)
Mrs. N. Nwabueze (Christian)
Alh. N. Gambo (Muslim)
Hajia Tome Ibrahim (Muslim)
Alh. Aliyu Shika (Muslim)
Alh. Mohammed Azare (Muslim)

ARMED FORCES  
The Muslim cleansing phenomenon in the army was one of the first hurriedly conceived and executed plot in the Islamphobia project of the Obasanjo administration in his first term.

He knew that there was a preponderance of political soldiers among the Muslims and so came out with a policy of retiring all soldiers who had held political offices. Due to the frustration of all Nigerians during the military interregnum, many Nigerians including the Muslims applauded the move oblivious of the fact that it was a secretarian agenda concocted to flush Muslims away from the Armed Forces.

It was a Christian Baptist President who was giving Muslims the baptism of fire. Initially all the service chiefs were Christians except Alhaji Tafa Balogun the erstwhile police chief who had been used and dumped into the dust bin of history.

So today now the chief of Army Staff, chief of Naval Staff, Air Force and Police are all Christian. Every Sunday, the president's service at the Aso rock chapel is beamed live on NTA Network free of charge. No Muslim president had ever shown live on television his worship at National Mosque. This is injustice of the highest order being perpetrated by our born again President.

THE CONFAB
With the statistics of the Christianisation project the composition of the Confab is another deliberate attempt to give the Christians a clear edge in its lopsidedness against the Muslims. Let us look at the list and see how it was tilted in favour of Christendom.

Out of the 393 members, 233 are Christians and 160 are Muslims. Christians therefore have 73 more members than Muslims. Among the members nominated by the President there are 19 Muslims and 38 Christians, which means 70% are Christians and 30% Muslims.  

Not a single Muslim from the South-East or South-South was found appointable by the president,whereas there are Christians appointed from Muslim dominated areas of Gombe, Kaduna and Borno.

Is it not mindboggling that in order to do some so-called balancing, the president appointed an 80 year old man, Alh. Sule Katagum as deputy chairman and one Mr. Arikawe another Christian from Ondo State as deputy Secretary. It therefore means that out of 4 principal officers of the confab 3 are Christians and only one- an octogenarian is Muslim.  

In the whole North it is unthinkable that the president can not find a Muslim with the capability of being the Secretary of the Confab and the whole of the South-South he can not find a Muslim who can be made the chairman of the Confab.

GRAND DESIGN AGAINST ISLAM
From the grapevine, we have heard that some foreign powers have a secret pact with President Obasanjo that no Muslim should ever rule Nigeria again.

Part of the plan is to give the impression that Muslims are in the minority in Nigeria and therefore should not lord it over the Christian majority. With the Christians occupying strategic positions in the country and Christians being majority in the Confab it would go a long to give the impression that Christians are in the majority.

That is why we were not surprised when the secretary of Christian Association of Nigeria (CAN), Northern State wing Elder Saidu Dogo as reported in the Sun News Paper of 21-February 2005 said that the composition of the confab is a reflection of the Christian majority of the country. We are watching and waiting to see how the political process will be manipulated to allow for a Christian president come 2007 .

OUR LINE OF ACTION
It would be fool hardy to expose all our plans to restore the image of the Muslim Ummah and confront this hydra headedly stubborn President in a press conference like this.However some of our constitutional and extra constitutional approach would be unraveled here.

Firstly, we appeal to the Sultan of Sokoto, His Eminence Alhaji Muhammadu Maccido, who is the leader of the Muslim Ummah in Nigeria to call on all the Muslim members at the confab to withdraw if within one week the lopsidedness in the composition of members and leadership of the confab is not redressed by the President.

Secondly, we shall form a formidable vanguard that would go to the grassroots to sensitise the Muslims on the goings on as regard the grand design to perpetually reduce the Muslims to flotsam and jetsam of the Nigerian society.

Thirdly, we shall constitute a powerful prayer group that will from next week continuously pray for victory of the Muslims over the surreptitious attempt by the undisguised enemies to undermine the interest of the noble religion.

As some interest groups in Nigeria are planning their own confab, if the Muslims in the present confab refuse to withdraw, and the lopsidedness against Islamic interest is not redressed we would Insha Allah convoke a Muslim confab to chart out a course of action both short-term and long- term against the annihilation of Islam from the country.

CONCLUSION
It is obvious even to the blind that Obasanjo is perpetrating this religious injustice in order to create anarchy, chaos and religious upheaval so that 2007 would not be a reality and he would have the excuse to carry out his ambition to tenaciously remain in office.

The committed Muslim would fight this with the last blood in their veins. Is it not better to die than to be made a slave or play the second fiddle or worst be made a second class citizen in your own country.

It is a tragedy of no mean dimension that a man who all Nigerians thought would be a father figure like Mahatma Ghandi of India has become a terror, a pseudo democrat and a despotic ruler bent on destroying the legacy of the Founding Fathers of this potentially great nation.

Let me state unabashedly and without the list fear of being contradicted that there is no problem between the Muslims and the Christians of this country. This became pelucidly clear when Christians fully aware of the Muslim-Muslim ticket still voted overwhelmingly for Alhaji Moshood Abiola during the June12, 1993 election. It is the politicians and Obasanjo in particular who always employs religion as a means of achieving his political goals irrespective of the bloodletting that comes in the wake of such manipulation.

It is cynical in the extreme to sacrifice the unity of this great country in order to generate sectarian support for a bankrupt regime. Muslims are becoming endanger species if we do not act fast. It will get to the stage where you would have to hide your Islamic identity or convert to Christianity outrightly before you can get your legitimate rights acknowledged in Nigeria.

In Sha Allah, this country will survive and the enemies of peace shamed.
Is'haq Kunle Sanni

Acting Coordinator
In the Affairs of People Fear Allah (SWT). In the Matters Relating to Allah (SWT) Do not be Afraid of Anybody. Ibn Katthab (RA).

mallamt

We are in real trouble if this is how we want to see nigeria - as a crhistian vs muslim country.  What amazes me is that each time we in the north point at christian appointments in OBJ's government we do not want to mention the profile of appointments in nigeria from 1960-1999, why is that?  I think we should start there and answer wether there has been any injustices, then we should find a way of apologising for them and then find a way of introducing checks and balances that will ensure that these injustices do not repeat themself.

What in essence are these people saying, we should start making appointments in nigeria on the basis of religion in addition to ethnicity?  Does that not sound ridiculus to them?  Has any one actually sat to think carefully of the political implications?  Based on some of what is being said we then should have in each state 2 governors (1 christain 1 muslim), 2 presidents and 2 vp's, 2 senate representatives from every senatorial district etc.  This will ensure that while ethnicity is covered religion is also covered, then what do we really have?  Then after 15-20 years traditionalists will say they have been oppressed in appointments etc in nigeria and demand to be represented, then we will have 3 of every appointment. Hmm that is interesting.

QuoteIn Sha Allah, this country will survive and the enemies of peace shamed.
I like the ending very much, so why all the fuss?  This shows even the press conference was unnecessary.  So it is not about what anyone says or does, it is all about what God does case closed, ladies and gentlement of the media sorry for wasting your time.

alhaji_aminu

Salam
When will mallamt stop confusing issues in this forum. Why is it hard for his to see that Nigeria, is indeed, a christian-muslim country.

His grouse with this issue is not in disputing the facts of the case, which are patently obvious, but on the premise that highlighting this issue is divisive and inimical to the growth of this nation. I think otherwise. The need, as expressed by muslims, to be represented in all facets of governance of this country is informed by the peculiar realities of modern Nigeria. It has always been so.

The fact is, we as muslims think a non-muslim will not do justice to us when entrusted with position of authority. Christian also feel the same way and I dont blame them. Why do we say this? Because Obasanjo, since he was forced on the people against their wishes, has done things like: threatning muslims from implementing the shariah, dismissing, in a wholescale manner, military officers simply because of their religious affiliation, underfunding and sabotaging those ventures from which muslims will benefit, limiting the input of muslims in decision making etc.
Not to forget what Aguyi Ironsi did in the form of the unification decree in 1966.

Ordinarily, it should not matter who the president is as long as he will discharge his responsibilities creditably, fairly and judiciously. But, because the realities in Nigeria have meant, a muslim favors muslims and a christian favors a xtian, a compromise ought to be reached through which no group will feel sidelined. The siege mentality, which many groups in Nigeria feel, can be mitigated by confidence building measures like including all shades of opinion in the governing the nation. Obsanjo doesn't believe this and that is why muslims are grumbling.

Mallamt asks, "should [we] start making appointments in nigeria on the basis of religion in addition to ethnicity?". The answer is sadly yes. Nigeria is a multi-ethnic-multi-religious state and to effectively run the nation, there has to be a convergence of opinion, which can only be reached by incorporating the opinions of different group.
Mallamt should note that the trick for peace in Lebanon, Ghana, Iraq, India and many other heterogenous nations has been the effective management of power sharing. For an example closer here at home, Mallamt should appreciate the suppression o discontent in the part of southern Zaria folks when the position of the Deputy governor was zone to them.

I will boldly submit that, if the concept of power sharing is what is needed for Nigeria to achieve ,the badly needed, political stability, then I am wholeheartedly for it.