News:

Ramadan Mubarak!

I pray that we get the full blessings of Ramadan and may Allah (SWT) grant us more blessings in the year to come.
Amin Summa Amin.

Ramadan Kareem,

Main Menu

What are you reading today?

Started by Muhsin, December 06, 2007, 10:57:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ummutameem

Quote from: gogannaka on December 14, 2007, 01:20:12 AM
It's taking me too long reading 'gone with the wind'.1000 plus pages.

Surprisingly i have never read a Chase novel.

lallai goga, u r among d near extinct specie of men that've never read chase, others include my brother n cousin, n believe me they r hopeless, dont read novels at all, they r both engineers, r u? most men i know hav read almost all of chases books. my advice for d bulky novels, read em when u r bored n inbetween novels, thats what im doing wit d bill clinton autobiography, i keep it in d office for when things r extremely slow n ts smthn to discuss wit d boss in case im caught in d act. however i do not recommend that u keep 'gone wit d wind' at d office, ur co workers ll think u r a hopeless romantic, that wont b good for ur macho image ;)

Muhsin

Quote from: ummutameem on December 12, 2007, 09:14:51 PM
you hav joind anas in reading chase, im sure you ll enjoy it, cant remember if ive read that one, im back to reading that my book, ll look 4 smthn interesting soon IA

Or Anas has joined me in reading chase, uh? Lol. Don't you read his works...why? Very interesting, Ummutameem. Start it now!

Am also today reading another Chase's Whiff of Money.

Quote from: gogannaka on December 14, 2007, 01:20:12 AM
It's taking me too long reading 'gone with the wind'.1000 plus pages.

Surprisingly i have never read a Chase novel.

Have never read a novel with such a number of pages...though I have one but never start reading it now.

Why have you never read it, Goga?
Get to know [and remember] Allah in prosperity & He will know  [and remember] you in adversity.

GoodFella

Reading Robert O. Brien's The Secret of Nimn. Its a nice fable.
Beginning today, treat everyone you meet as if he or she were going to be dead by midnight. Extend to them all the care, kindness, and understanding you can muster, and do so with no thought of any reward. Your life will never be the same again.
— Og Mandino (Motivational Author & Speaker)

gogannaka

LOL UmmuT, i am not a hopeless person and i know a lot of engineers that read chase's novels.

Muhsin i don't exactly know why i've never read any Chase novel..it might be because of the cover pictures.(maybe)
Surely after suffering comes enjoyment

ummutameem

Quote from: gogannaka on December 17, 2007, 05:56:49 PM
LOL UmmuT, i am not a hopeless person and i know a lot of engineers that read chase's novels.

Muhsin i don't exactly know why i've never read any Chase novel..it might be because of the cover pictures.(maybe)
i get u, u r not an engineer, ok.

and u r right about d chase covers, they arent exactly "attractive". how far with d bulky novel? find another one yet?

Muhsin

I'm readin John Grisham's The Pelican Brief. His novel for the fisrt time...because they are very expensive. Don't know why?

@Gogannaka,
When next I get back I'll respond to you, insha Allah. Thanks.

@GoodFella,

Welcome to the forum. And you are really reading a very nice and interesting novel. I read it some times ago and I have it presently at home.
Get to know [and remember] Allah in prosperity & He will know  [and remember] you in adversity.

ummutameem

Quote from: Muhsin on December 20, 2007, 01:52:49 PM
I'm readin John Grisham's The Pelican Brief. His novel for the fisrt time...because they are very expensive. Don't know why?
Pelican brief is an interesting one, is the one where a law student(i think) uncovered y supreme crt justices were being murdered, there is a movie of d novel with julia roberts and denzel washington(?), u should continue reading his work, very interesting, though i dont really like the later ones, like the king of torts and d summons, they r on the ok level. But if u find 'skipping chritsmas' pls do read it, it is a departure from his usual courtroom drama, it is a comedy actually, very funny, i found myself laughing out loud, saw d movie too, equally funny, with tim allen.
i guess d books r expensive, u can always exchange at bata(is it) or borrow from others.

im currently taking a break from reading (except my quran of course), going to b a bit busy for a while, i will keep contributing to d thread though, i will let u'all know as soon as i begin a new one.

and now that most of u know that id recently given birth, i can name that book that i was reading and thought no one will be interested in, its called "what to expect when you are expecting", a pregnancy guide (gross!), actually very helpful, i recommend it to expecting mums and dads!

Mufi

Quote from: ummutameem on December 20, 2007, 06:29:18 PM
and now that most of u know that id recently given birth, i can name that book that i was reading and thought no one will be interested in, its called "what to expect when you are expecting", a pregnancy guide (gross!), actually very helpful, i recommend it to expecting mums and dads!

I have not contributed much to this Forum since its inception, but seeing UmmuT latest book that she is reading kind of make me want to respond. U know I had that book since when I had my first child, and my last two babies i find myself going back to read it all over again. I think the book is very informative and educative as well.
Life is like a flower; more exquisite and precious when shared with others.

Muhsin

@Gogannaka,

Concerning J.H Chase's classical or rather thriller novels and the over almost nude pictures; I too had this apprehension towards it before I later, after been convinced by a friend that that is only use as what I can describe as gimmick, i.e to attract costomer's attention in a cunny way, start reading it. And am telling you, they contain nothing, actually nothing relates to the cover picture. Though still, there are, usually few scenes of sex but they are told very, very berief with out much elucidation of the actions.

And moreover, why not, if you are interested in reading one, buy it and cover the cover pic?

@Ummutameem,

Wallahi I very much adore to read John G. works but as I said before too cost. Don't know why and I really imagine. Hmm, not only his novels but that also of Dann Brown, Sidney S., Robert Ludlum, etc. Do you have any knowledge why?

Allah help you in your reading Qur'an and all your activities. Its very nice of you contributing to this forum. I perfectly appreciated it.

@Mumcee,

Welcome to this brand new forum. Wish and hope you'll a bit more stick to it. Seems you too read books, eh?

Thanks to you all.

HUSNAA

Any one read Sven Hassel's books? They are 2nd world war stories seen from the German soldier's perspective. They are so so so absorbing. I recommend them highly.
Any one read the Rise and Fall Third Reich by William Sherer? I started it  many many yrs ago, found  it was too heavy going so I read the gruesome bits and gave  away the book as an exquisite present in a moment of sheer exuberance.. I have regretted the impulse ever since.. ;D

Ghafurallahi lana wa lakum

Dan-Borno

Anyone read the Longman Dictionary?
its so full of words and their meanings
very interesting, i highly recommend it
to all members.  ;D   ;D   8) 
"My mama always used to tell me: 'If you can't find somethin' to live for, you best find somethin' to die for" - Tupak

Muhsin

Quote from: HUSNAA on December 23, 2007, 05:58:47 PM
Any one read Sven Hassel's books? They are 2nd world war stories seen from the German soldier's perspective. They are so so so absorbing. I recommend them highly.
Any one read the Rise and Fall Third Reich by William Sherer? I started it  many many yrs ago, found  it was too heavy going so I read the gruesome bits and gave  away the book as an exquisite present in a moment of sheer exuberance.. I have regretted the impulse ever since.. ;D

Have never heard of any of these books Aunty. Any way, following your recomendation, I'll look for them in the market. Hope they are available and I can get them. Would they cost much money? Yes, I have to ask because some books, I always imagine, are highly expensive as I said before. Thanks.

Quote from: Dan-Borno on December 23, 2007, 06:24:18 PM
Anyone read the Longman Dictionary?
its so full of words and their meanings
very interesting, i highly recommend it
to all members.  ;D   ;D   8) 

Dan-Barno, I understand you; you have atleast said something here.

Am still reading John Grisham's The Pelican Brief. Its a bit bulky...thats why it takes me time.

GoodFella

Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte. I like her works very much.
Beginning today, treat everyone you meet as if he or she were going to be dead by midnight. Extend to them all the care, kindness, and understanding you can muster, and do so with no thought of any reward. Your life will never be the same again.

gogannaka

UmmuT's absense is felt in this forum.

I'm reading 'Lifeguard' by James Patterson.

Muhsin i'm sure you'll enjoy Pelica Brief..Its a masterpiece.
Surely after suffering comes enjoyment

GoodFella

I'm reading a Nigerian deceased writer's work. I, at times, feel its not written by a Nigerian or even an African. Superb! Her name's May Elen Ezeikel. And the novel's "Dream Maker". Wish one of you would read it or have read it already.